0.19.0 Released

    0.19.0 final has just been released. More info here: http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/2012/03/01/0.19.0-released.html. This release, on top of its features, marks an important improvement to the stability of elasticsearch and includes important bug fixes over 0.18.x, it is highly recommended to upgrade to it.

-shay.banon

Re: 0.19.0 Released

Michael Sick
Shay,

Just read over the release notes from all the RC's and the final and wanted to say that the pace of delivery is amazing. Thank you for a great product!

What are the themes/main features for the .20 release?

--Mike

Hi,

-shay.banon

-shay.banon

Re: 0.19.0 Released

Eric Jain
On Mar 2, 1:38 am, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     0.19.0 final has just been released. More info here:http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/2012/03/01/0.19.0-released.html. This release, on top of its features, marks an important improvement to the stability of elasticsearch and includes important bug fixes over 0.18.x, it is highly recommended to upgrade to it.

Thanks, this project is amazing!

Re: 0.19.0 Released

The major changes for the next few weeks on 0.20 that I was planning to try and tackle (hopefully successfully :) ) are:

- Better shard allocation, initially trying to even out shard allocation also based on which index they belong to, to get even distribution also within an index across a cluster.
- Refactor the field data support, allowing for different pluggable implementations, which can allow for ones that are more optimized for memory usage for example. It will tie in with the mapping allowing to decide which one to use on which field, though the aim is to have sensible auto detected defaults.
- Refactor the search execution code, to allow for more interesting search executions, like one that does grouping. Once its done, try and see if we can tackle grouping.

On Friday, March 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Michael Sick wrote:

Shay,

Just read over the release notes from all the RC's and the final and wanted to say that the pace of delivery is amazing. Thank you for a great product!

What are the themes/main features for the .20 release?

--Mike

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

    0.19.0 final has just been released. More info here: http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/2012/03/01/0.19.0-released.html. This release, on top of its features, marks an important improvement to the stability of elasticsearch and includes important bug fixes over 0.18.x, it is highly recommended to upgrade to it.

-shay.banon

Re: 0.19.0 Released

Clinton Gormley-2
Heya

> - Better shard allocation, initially trying to even out shard
> allocation also based on which index they belong to, to get even
> distribution also within an index across a cluster.
> - Refactor the field data support, allowing for different pluggable
> implementations, which can allow for ones that are more optimized for
> memory usage for example. It will tie in with the mapping allowing to
> decide which one to use on which field, though the aim is to have
> sensible auto detected defaults.
> - Refactor the search execution code, to allow for more interesting
> search executions, like one that does grouping. Once its done, try and
> see if we can tackle grouping.

All the above sound excellent.

I think you probably have this planned for another version, but a
feature I'd love to see is: more visibility of nested docs.

For instance:
 - which of my 10 nested Comments caused this Blog to match my query?
 - with highlighting per nested doc
 - sorting by a field in a matching nested doc

clint

Re: 0.19.0 Released

Mark Waddle
I agree, all of those changes are great. I am especially excited about the potential for grouping!

@Clinton: I am not sure how the sorting on a nested document field would work. If you have multiple nested documents, then it could hit on multiple nested documents, and then it would not be clear as to which to sort on. If there is only one nested document per root document, then you could have a copy of the sort field on the root document.

Heya

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 23:01 -0800, Mark Waddle wrote:
> I agree, all of those changes are great. I am especially excited about
> the potential for grouping!
>
> @Clinton: I am not sure how the sorting on a nested document field
> would work. If you have multiple nested documents, then it could hit
> on multiple nested documents, and then it would not be clear as to
> which to sort on. If there is only one nested document per root
> document, then you could have a copy of the sort field on the root
> document.

You could choose to sort on the best matching nested doc, for instance.

clint

> On Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:15:30 AM UTC-8, Clinton Gormley wrote:
>         Heya
>
>         > - Better shard allocation, initially trying to even out
>         shard
>         > allocation also based on which index they belong to, to get
>         even
>         > distribution also within an index across a cluster.
>         > - Refactor the field data support, allowing for different
>         pluggable
>         > implementations, which can allow for ones that are more
>         optimized for
>         > memory usage for example. It will tie in with the mapping
>         allowing to
>         > decide which one to use on which field, though the aim is to
>         have
>         > sensible auto detected defaults.
>         > - Refactor the search execution code, to allow for more
>         interesting
>         > search executions, like one that does grouping. Once its
>         done, try and
>         > see if we can tackle grouping.
>
>         All the above sound excellent.
>
>         I think you probably have this planned for another version,
>         but a
>         feature I'd love to see is: more visibility of nested docs.
>
>         For instance:
>          - which of my 10 nested Comments caused this Blog to match my
>         query?
>          - with highlighting per nested doc
>          - sorting by a field in a matching nested doc
>         >
>         clint

Re: 0.19.0 Released

Eric Jain
On Mar 4, 12:15 am, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think you probably have this planned for another version, but a
> feature I'd love to see is [...]

...more elasticity!