4 point polygon search for over half the world results in incorrect (opposite) polygon to be searched.

4 point polygon search for over half the world results in incorrect (opposite) polygon to be searched.

nateweisiger
Hello,

We are running into an issue that I hope someone can help out with. Small polygons (LESS than the length of 1/2 of the world from east to west) work fine.

Once we increase the size of the polygon to a larger size (say, 2/3 the size of the globe east to west) the results are returned with the OPPOSITE polygon. (Upper right becomes upper left, lower right becomes lower left). I understand why this is happening. Elasticsearch is talking 4 points, and when wrapping the other way creates a smaller polygon than the one intended, it uses that one.

For example:
The following search works just fine
Works Fine

This one DOES NOT work. It assumes the polygon I want is from the upper left to the upper right (wrapping around the other side of the map).
Does not work

I want results from the purple box, but it is returning results from the red box.

Has anyone ran into this issue? If so, how does one solve this? We have tried passing the points in a different order, but no matter what was tried, it always assumes the smallest polygon.

SIDE NOTE: When we use "envelope", it works fine, bit polygon support is needed.

Thanks!
Nate

Re: 4 point polygon search for over half the world results in incorrect (opposite) polygon to be searched.

nateweisiger

Bump...

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be surprised if I was the only one who has come across this. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks!
Nate

<http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/file/n4040367/example1.png>

<http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/file/n4040367/World_Map_-_UrtheCast.png>

I want results from the purple box, but it is returning results from the red
box.

Has anyone ran into this issue? If so, how does one solve this? We have
tried passing the points in a different order, but no matter what was tried,
it always assumes the smallest polygon.

SIDE NOTE: When we use "envelope", it works fine, bit polygon support is
needed.

Thanks!
Nate

Re: 4 point polygon search for over half the world results in incorrect (opposite) polygon to be searched.

chilling
Hi Nate,

thanks for posting this issue. Which version of ES are you using running into this?

-- Florian

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:02:04 AM UTC+2, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

is it also possible to post an example of the failing query?

--Florian