[ANN] Elasticsearch RDF Jena Plugin

do you want to turn your Elasticsearch into a SPARQL endpoint?

This Elasticsearch plugin stores and retrieves RDF triples by using the Apache Jena API:

Apache Jena http://jena.apache.org is a free and open source Java framework for building semantic web and Linked Data applications. The framework is composed of different APIs interacting together to process RDF data.

Each triple will be stored as a single document, and Jena API uses term filter queries to match triples. Due to the restrictions of such an architecture, do not expect good SPARQL performance.

The implementation is based heavily on the work of Andrea Gazzarini's SolRDF https://github.com/agazzarini/SolRDF

Feedback, contributions etc. are most welcome!

Best,

Re: [ANN] Elasticsearch RDF Jena Plugin

Jack Park-2
Great idea!

Need a clarification.

All of the java source files I opened say Apache license, but the readme says AGPL.

Which license is it?

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

do you want to turn your Elasticsearch into a SPARQL endpoint?

This Elasticsearch plugin stores and retrieves RDF triples by using the Apache Jena API:

Apache Jena http://jena.apache.org is a free and open source Java framework for building semantic web and Linked Data applications. The framework is composed of different APIs interacting together to process RDF data.

Each triple will be stored as a single document, and Jena API uses term filter queries to match triples. Due to the restrictions of such an architecture, do not expect good SPARQL performance.

The implementation is based heavily on the work of Andrea Gazzarini's SolRDF https://github.com/agazzarini/SolRDF

Feedback, contributions etc. are most welcome!

Best,

Re: [ANN] Elasticsearch RDF Jena Plugin

Alfredo Serafini
HI great news!! :-)
nice work, as well as the plugin from Gazzarini on Solr! :-)

I can't wait to seriously play a little with both... :-)

Have you already done some tests on the triples? I mean: is it possible to use the ES replication to provide triples to other nodes, query on multiple nodes via SPARQL etc?

PS: have you some plan about what we discussed here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/elasticsearch/json-ld/elasticsearch/hPu1e7TrL40/XHKd2WIeZrYJ
I'd like to find a way to separate mappings from data easily...

if I could give some help, please let me know!

Hi,

Apache Jena <a href="http://jena.apache.org" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fjena.apache.org\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFDNtfgqEHNlhjEuFxMS65CYl26cw';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fjena.apache.org\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFDNtfgqEHNlhjEuFxMS65CYl26cw';return true;">http://jena.apache.org is a free and open source Java framework for building semantic web and Linked Data applications. The framework is composed of different APIs interacting together to process RDF data.

The implementation is based heavily on the work of Andrea Gazzarini's SolRDF <a href="https://github.com/agazzarini/SolRDF" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fagazzarini%2FSolRDF\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHcze6s0sj3Db_CfFUbbSAKi1wPmQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fagazzarini%2FSolRDF\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHcze6s0sj3Db_CfFUbbSAKi1wPmQ';return true;">https://github.com/agazzarini/SolRDF

Feedback, contributions etc. are most welcome!

Best,

Re: [ANN] Elasticsearch RDF Jena Plugin

With this RDF Jena plugin, you can set up indices like any other index, only the mapping is kind of strict:

https://github.com/jprante/elasticsearch-plugin-rdf-jena/blob/master/src/main/resources/org/xbib/elasticsearch/module/rdf/jena/mapping.json

That means, with replica settings, triples (like docs) are replicated to other nodes and yes, they can be queried by SPARQL. I haven't tested it much but it is easy now to build loaders who can lift some billions of triples into ES and run SPARQL over it.

Being frankly, I am not a big fan of SPARQL implementations because SPARQL is so cumbersome, slow, and difficult to use in RDF processing. I still have to understand how Jena will exercise ES though. With the plugin, there are several restrictions, like translating ORDER BY to ES sort clauses, which is an open challenge.

With JSON-LD and ES being a document store, I am still after an alternative method how to translate SPARQL queries to performant ES queries on ordinary JSON docs, operating on documents which look more like a DESCRIBE result, and contexts saved similar to templates in an internal index. This is my favorite idea I have not dropped. I can now compare this better to a pure Jena API plugin approach.

Jörg