Adding new node to the local machine

Janusz Dalecki
Hi,
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?
Regards,
Janusz

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

Ivan Brusic
Yes you can. In the configuration you would need to change to important settings: the ports (9200/9300) and the directory of the data directory.  ElasticSearch by default stores the index in memory outside of the JVM, so keep that in mind when deploying two nodes on the same computer.

Search the mailing list for other message on the topic (most change the ports to 9201/9301, so those would be good search terms).

--
Ivan

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM, JD <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

Janusz Dalecki

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to search on goggle and forum for the instructions on how to add new local node to elasticsearch cluster, but did not find anything concrete.

Can you point me to some old post with the instructions or something like that.

What I have done is this:

1)    Run my main elasticsearch from the elsaticsearch/bin folder as usual (no change in elasticsearch.yml file – ports 9200/9300)

2)    Copied the main elasticsearch folder (with its bin/config/data/lib/logs/plugin folders) to a separate folder called “elasticsearch-0.20.1 – Copy”

3)    I have changed in the “elasticsearch-0.20.1 – Copy” the elasticsearch.yml to use ports 9201 and 9301 instead of default ones - 9200/9300.

4)    I have deleted everything under “elasticsearch-0.20.1 – Copy /data” folder and started the second elasticsearch instance.

… but the nodes are not synchronized

When I execute the command: http://localhost:9200/product_index/Product/_search it returns back expected result (some number of my product records), but when I execute http://localhost:9201/product_index/Product/_search it returns “IndexMissingException[[product_index] missing]” error – so both instances do not talk to each other.

Regards,

Janusz

On Monday, 7 January 2013 15:31:04 UTC+11, JD wrote:
Hi,
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?
Regards,
Janusz

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

Shaun Etherton
Just run a new instance same as you run the initial one - dont copy the dir..
Just run it again.

-- Shaun

On Monday, 7 January 2013 at 15:01, JD wrote:

Hi,
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?
Regards,
Janusz

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

Janusz Dalecki

OK. I have done it and it looks better as I can see in “C:\tools\elasticsearch-0.20.1\data\elasticsearch\nodes” two nodes ‘0’ and ‘1’. But still when I execute the command: http://localhost:9200/product_index/Product/_search it returns back expected result (some number of my product records), but when I execute http://localhost:9201/product_index/Product/_search it returns “IndexMissingException[[product_index] missing]” error – so both instances do not talk to each other.

I have to admit that I set “discovery.zen.ping.multicast.enabled: false” because I had some problems with elasticsearch when this flag was on. Does it matter?

Regards,

Janusz

On Monday, 7 January 2013 15:31:04 UTC+11, JD wrote:
Hi,
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?
Regards,
Janusz

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

dadoonet
Yes. If you disable multicast, you have to define all nodes with unicast.
Look at comments in elasticsearch.yml file.

--
David ;-)

Le 8 janv. 2013 à 03:04, JD <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,

[...]

OK. Thanks. After your comment I got it to work.

I have used 'head' GUI to see my cluster – but can’t see replica set (see file attached) – where is it. Is there any query param that would show replica set as well?

shards.docx (199K) Download Attachment

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

dadoonet
Replicas are shards without the thick black box around.

So they appear on your screenshot.

--
David ;-)

Le 8 janv. 2013 à 07:07, JD <[hidden email]> a écrit :

OK. Thanks. After your comment I got it to work.

I have used 'head' GUI to see my cluster – but can’t see replica set (see file attached) – where is it. Is there any query param that would show replica set as well?

Regards,

Janusz

On Monday, 7 January 2013 15:31:04 UTC+11, JD wrote:
Hi,
Can I add new clustersearch node on the same laptop that is running the main clustersearch (any instructions).?
Regards,
Janusz

--

<shards.docx>

Re: Adding new node to the local machine

Janusz Dalecki
Is there any doc(screen explanation) on that?
I tried wiki, but found no docs.