Backup and Restore an index

Sagar Shah
Hello everyone,
I am using elastic search 1.4.2 and trying to work out a way on back up and restore operation of an index.

Objective:
An index is already present on a system with some mapping. During system upgrade, mapping needs to be updated, which is not possible easily in elastic search without reindexing.

So here's one path that I have chosen.
- Take backup of existing index on file system
- Delete existing index
- Create an index with same name but with new mapping
- Restore the (backed up) index. - Issue: When restoring index here, it also overwrites mapping to previous state, the way it was defined on original index. Is there a way to restore only the data and not settings/mapping. Or is there a way to restore index explicitly with new mappings?

Other option that I see is to create restore into a new index and then perform bulk indexing on original index name. But that seems too much to me just to perform data backup and restore.

Index is expected to have about 80 millions of records

Is there a way to ease this process?

Appreciate your inputs & suggestions

Regards,
Sagar Shah

---

Re: Backup and Restore an index

Mark Walkom-2
Why not just use an alias, then you don't have to worry about conflicting names.
Otherwise I have been having luck using LS 1.5 to reindex - https://gist.github.com/markwalkom/8a7201e3f6ea4354ae06

PS - We're moving to https://discuss.elastic.co/, please join us there for any future discussions!