Best way to setup elastic search on its own server(s)

Best way to setup elastic search on its own server(s)

doug livesey
Hi -- I'll be looking to migrate elasticsearch off our application servers, soon, onto its own server or servers.
I was wondering if there's any considered best practice for doing this?
Would one instance on one server be fine, or should I run at least two servers, with the data replicated?
And, if I did run more than one, would that be best setup as a master/child, or load balanced between two or more equal partners?
& if there's any documentation suggesting how to handle any of this around, I'd be really grateful for a pointer to it, so's I can get reading.
Cheers,
   Doug.

Re: Best way to setup elastic search on its own server(s)

ppearcy
You probably want to run at least two servers, but it depends on your requirements and if you can deal with a loss of service. Elasticsearch can do master/slave, but by default runs hot/hot and is really the way to go 99.9% of the time.

You should connect your new nodes to your existing cluster and drain the data off the current instances by using the allocation APIs or by bumping your replica counts, so a replica is pushed to every node (auto expand replicas).

Best Regards,
Paul

On Monday, January 28, 2013 2:26:40 AM UTC-7, biot023 wrote:
Hi -- I'll be looking to migrate elasticsearch off our application servers, soon, onto its own server or servers.
I was wondering if there's any considered best practice for doing this?
Would one instance on one server be fine, or should I run at least two servers, with the data replicated?
And, if I did run more than one, would that be best setup as a master/child, or load balanced between two or more equal partners?
& if there's any documentation suggesting how to handle any of this around, I'd be really grateful for a pointer to it, so's I can get reading.
Cheers,
   Doug.

Re: Best way to setup elastic search on its own server(s)

doug livesey
Brilliant, cheers for that.
How would I identify my cluster from my app if I were running elasticsearch on multiple servers?
I use the HTTP API, which obviously uses an IP address to find the service.
I currently have an ES instance running on each app server, but that's becoming unscalable.
Cheers,
   Doug.