Building in Eclipse

vegas-2
Hey,

I wanted to build elasticsearch under eclipse. I took a stab at it,
and got things down to three errors that seemed inconsequential.  What
would be the equivalent of bin/elasticsearch -f  in an eclipse
debuggable context?

Cheers,

Alex

FWIW, here's what I did to mostly please eclipse:

Downloaded google guice 2.0 from
    http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/wiki/Guice20
Downloaded jLine from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jline/files/jline/0.9.5/jline-0_9_5.jar/download
Downloaded Jackson from(need optional mapper package too)
    http://wiki.fasterxml.com/JacksonDownload
Downloaded google collections from
    http://code.google.com/p/google-collections/downloads/list:w

Got sick of this, decided to try:
    http://gradle.codehaus.org/Cookbook#Cookbook-Gatheringalldependencies%28libs%29inonefolder
    Had to modify the solution a bit, and manually create build/output/
lib

    modified solution:
    task copyToLib(dependsOn: configurations.dists.buildArtifacts,
type: Copy) {
                into('lib')
                from configurations.dists
                from configurations.dists.allArtifacts*.file
                from configurations.distLib
                from configurations.distLib.allArtifacts*.file
    }
    This appears to have gotten a lot of stuff, but looks to have
missed testng
    among others?
        hamcrest http://code.google.com/p/hamcrest/downloads/detail?name=hamcrest-core-1.1.jar&can=2&q=
        testng http://testng.org/doc/download.html

That takes care of everything except
Description Resource Path Location Type
Duplicate methods named indexedValue with the parameters (T) and
(String) are defined by the type FieldMapper<String>
IdFieldMapper.java /elasticsearch-elasticsearch-38edf96/modules/
elasticsearch/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/index/mapper line 27
Java Problem

which seems to not matter a whit.

Re: Building in Eclipse

Lukáš Vlček
Hi,

I am not using Eclipse but you might be interested in looking at wiki, there is page for intelliJIDEA setup:
http://wiki.github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/getting-started-with-the-source-code
May be you can find some interesting bits there.

I think you do not have to download dependencies manually. Just run gradlew and it will download all dependencies into ~/.gradle/cache folder. Then you should be able to link these into Eclipse. However, I am not saying this is recommended way how to setup ES in Eclipse.

As for the bin/elasticsearch -f it just calls:

# Startup Bootstrap, background it, and write the pid.
        exec $JAVA $JAVA_OPTS $ES_JAVA_OPTS $es_parms -cp $CLASSPATH $props \
                    org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap <&- &
        [ ! -z $pidpath ] && printf "%d" $! > $pidpath

This might be a bit cryptic but you can put print command into elasticsearch shell script to see what arguments are passed into org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap class.

Regards,
Lukas

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:43 AM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Awesome,
Thanks Lukas.

On Feb 23, 2:50 am, Lukáš Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >                from configurations.dists
> >                from configurations.dists.allArtifacts*.file
> >                from configurations.distLib
> >                from configurations.distLib.allArtifacts*.file
> >    }
> >    This appears to have gotten a lot of stuff, but looks to have
> > missed testng
> >    among others?
> >        hamcrest
> >http://code.google.com/p/hamcrest/downloads/detail?name=hamcrest-core...
> >        testnghttp://testng.org/doc/download.html
>
> > That takes care of everything except
> > Description     Resource        Path    Location        Type
> > Duplicate methods named indexedValue with the parameters (T) and
> > (String) are defined by the type FieldMapper<String>
> > IdFieldMapper.java      /elasticsearch-elasticsearch-38edf96/modules/
> > elasticsearch/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/index/mapper      line 27

If I would set it up using Eclipse, then I would let gradle download the dependencies, and then create a path variable in eclipse to point to the gradle repository. Running elasticsearch is simply running the Bootstrap main class, with the following properties: -server -Xmx1g -Des-foreground=yes -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true.

-shay.banon

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >                from configurations.dists
> >                from configurations.dists.allArtifacts*.file
> >                from configurations.distLib
> >                from configurations.distLib.allArtifacts*.file
> >    }
> >    This appears to have gotten a lot of stuff, but looks to have
> > missed testng
> >    among others?
> >        hamcrest
> >http://code.google.com/p/hamcrest/downloads/detail?name=hamcrest-core...
> >        testnghttp://testng.org/doc/download.html
>
> > That takes care of everything except
> > Description     Resource        Path    Location        Type
> > Duplicate methods named indexedValue with the parameters (T) and
> > (String) are defined by the type FieldMapper<String>
> > IdFieldMapper.java      /elasticsearch-elasticsearch-38edf96/modules/
> > elasticsearch/src/main/java/org/elasticsearch/index/mapper      line 27

Cool, thanks for the java-opts.

I noticed on bootup that I get some WARNs about net.core.rmem and
net.core.wmem from jgroups.UDP.

I set

net.core.wmem_max = 31457280
net.core.rmem_max = 1024

in sysctl.conf, which dealt with the gripes about wmem_max, but
rmem_max still appears to ben capped at 1.02KB.  Is there somewhere
else I should try to configure this, or is this perhaps a property of
my ethernet card?

Cheers,

Alex

On Feb 23, 2:58 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I would set it up using Eclipse, then I would let gradle download the
> dependencies, and then create a path variable in eclipse to point to the
> gradle repository. Running elasticsearch is simply running the Bootstrap
> main class, with the following properties: -server -Xmx1g
> -Des-foreground=yes -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true.
>
> -shay.banon
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Awesome,
> > Thanks Lukas.
>
> > On Feb 23, 2:50 am, Lukáš Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I am not using Eclipse but you might be interested in looking at wiki,
> > there
> > > is page for intelliJIDEA setup:
> >http://wiki.github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/getting-started-wi...
> > > May be you can find some interesting bits there.
>
> > > I think you do not have to download dependencies manually. Just run
> > gradlew
> > > and it will download all dependencies into ~/.gradle/cache folder. Then
> > you
> > > should be able to link these into Eclipse. However, I am not saying this
> > is
> > > recommended way how to setup ES in Eclipse.
>
> > > As for the bin/elasticsearch -f it just calls:
>
> > > # Startup Bootstrap, background it, and write the pid.
> > >         exec $JAVA $JAVA_OPTS $ES_JAVA_OPTS $es_parms -cp $CLASSPATH
> > $props
> > > \
> > >                     org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap <&- &
> > >         [ ! -z $pidpath ] && printf "%d" $! > $pidpath
>
> > > This might be a bit cryptic but you can put print command into
> > elasticsearch
> > > shell script to see what arguments are passed into
> > > org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap class.
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Lukas

> > ..

> > ..

> > ..

Re: Building in Eclipse

vegas-2
Also, on the topic of building in eclipse, I checked out the code from
github, then did a ./gradle build
This fetched most all of the dependencies into build/distributions/
exploded/lib

Next I told eclipse to "Start New Project(from existing source)".
For some reason TestNG and hamcrest were still missing,
I fetched them from
hamcrest
 http://code.google.com/p/hamcrest/downloads/detail?name=hamcrest-core-1.1.jar&can=2&q=
testng
 http://testng.org/doc/download.html

and was just left with the errors in FieldMapper<String>

I used the javaopts you gave me, and now happily have an elasticsearch
running inside of eclipse. Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex

On Feb 23, 3:58 pm, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool, thanks for the java-opts.
>
> I noticed on bootup that I get some WARNs about net.core.rmem and
> net.core.wmem from jgroups.UDP.
>
> I set
>
> net.core.wmem_max = 31457280
> net.core.rmem_max = 1024
>
> in sysctl.conf, which dealt with the gripes about wmem_max, but
> rmem_max still appears to ben capped at 1.02KB.  Is there somewhere
> else I should try to configure this, or is this perhaps a property of
> my ethernet card?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex
>
> On Feb 23, 2:58 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I would set it up using Eclipse, then I would let gradle download the
> > dependencies, and then create a path variable in eclipse to point to the
> > gradle repository. Running elasticsearch is simply running the Bootstrap
> > main class, with the following properties: -server -Xmx1g
> > -Des-foreground=yes -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true.
>
> > -shay.banon
>
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Awesome,
> > > Thanks Lukas.

> > > there
> > >http://wiki.github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/getting-started-wi...

> > > gradlew
> > > you
> > > is

> > > $props

> > > elasticsearch

> > > ..

> > > ..

> > > ..

Re: Building in Eclipse

What are the errors in FieldMapper that you get? Hamcrest and testng will also get downloaded if you simple execute "gradlew test" (its part of the test phase, which is not executed with the default task).

-shay.banon

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, on the topic of building in eclipse, I checked out the code from
github, then did a ./gradle build
This fetched most all of the dependencies into build/distributions/
exploded/lib

Next I told eclipse to "Start New Project(from existing source)".
For some reason TestNG and hamcrest were still missing,
I fetched them from
hamcrest
and was just left with the errors in FieldMapper<String>

I used the javaopts you gave me, and now happily have an elasticsearch
running inside of eclipse. Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex

On Feb 23, 3:58 pm, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool, thanks for the java-opts.
>
> I noticed on bootup that I get some WARNs about net.core.rmem and
> net.core.wmem from jgroups.UDP.
>
> I set
>
> net.core.wmem_max = 31457280
> net.core.rmem_max = 1024
>
> in sysctl.conf, which dealt with the gripes about wmem_max, but
> rmem_max still appears to ben capped at 1.02KB.  Is there somewhere
> else I should try to configure this, or is this perhaps a property of
> my ethernet card?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex
>
> On Feb 23, 2:58 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I would set it up using Eclipse, then I would let gradle download the
> > dependencies, and then create a path variable in eclipse to point to the
> > gradle repository. Running elasticsearch is simply running the Bootstrap
> > main class, with the following properties: -server -Xmx1g
> > -Des-foreground=yes -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true.
>
> > -shay.banon
>
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Awesome,
> > > Thanks Lukas.

> > > there
> > >http://wiki.github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/getting-started-wi...

> > > gradlew
> > > you
> > > is

> > > $props

> > > elasticsearch

> > > ..

> > > ..

> > > ..

Re: Building in Eclipse

Can post the actual error message that you get?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, on the topic of building in eclipse, I checked out the code from
github, then did a ./gradle build
This fetched most all of the dependencies into build/distributions/
exploded/lib

Next I told eclipse to "Start New Project(from existing source)".
For some reason TestNG and hamcrest were still missing,
I fetched them from
hamcrest
and was just left with the errors in FieldMapper<String>

I used the javaopts you gave me, and now happily have an elasticsearch
running inside of eclipse. Thanks!

Cheers,

Alex

On Feb 23, 3:58 pm, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool, thanks for the java-opts.
>
> I noticed on bootup that I get some WARNs about net.core.rmem and
> net.core.wmem from jgroups.UDP.
>
> I set
>
> net.core.wmem_max = 31457280
> net.core.rmem_max = 1024
>
> in sysctl.conf, which dealt with the gripes about wmem_max, but
> rmem_max still appears to ben capped at 1.02KB.  Is there somewhere
> else I should try to configure this, or is this perhaps a property of
> my ethernet card?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alex
>
> On Feb 23, 2:58 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I would set it up using Eclipse, then I would let gradle download the
> > dependencies, and then create a path variable in eclipse to point to the
> > gradle repository. Running elasticsearch is simply running the Bootstrap
> > main class, with the following properties: -server -Xmx1g
> > -Des-foreground=yes -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true.
>
> > -shay.banon
>
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, vegas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Awesome,
> > > Thanks Lukas.

> > > there
> > >http://wiki.github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/getting-started-wi...

> > > gradlew
> > > you
> > > is

> > > $props

> > > elasticsearch

> > > ..

> > > ..

> > > ..

Re: Building in Eclipse

Lukáš Vlček
Good hint! I updated wiki regarding test dependencies..