Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Heya,

   The built in plugins that existed in the elasticsearch/elasticsearch repo have now moved to their own repos. The installation command to install them have changed, and their versions work well with 0.18.5 (and obviously, 0.19). More info here: https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/1520.

   The plugins have maven as the build system, which I hope will simplify things by acting as samples for custom plugins and easily "import" them into the IDE.

   Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module, I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...

-shay.banon

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Clinton Gormley-2

>    Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module,
> I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on
> elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...

Not a Java person, but my experience with compiling ES via gradle was a
joy, and my very limited experience with maven has been a good deal more
painful

clint

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Agreed, its simpler, but harder on getting up and running in developing elasticsearch (especially with problematic recent changes in gradle). It will be as simpel as (which is how the plugins work now):

1. install maven (apt-get maven, brew install maven) (once)
2. run "mvn assembly:assembly -DskipTests" and you will have the distribution under target.

The good thing with maven is that you simply import it into the IDE (all support maven nicely) and on you go with developing elasticsearch.

-shay.banon

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module,
> I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on
> elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...

Not a Java person, but my experience with compiling ES via gradle was a
joy, and my very limited experience with maven has been a good deal more
painful

clint

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

dadoonet
100% agree, Shay.
Is there any way we can help you to "mavenize" Elasticsearch ?

David ;-)
@dadoonet

Le 5 déc. 2011 à 20:35, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Agreed, its simpler, but harder on getting up and running in developing elasticsearch (especially with problematic recent changes in gradle). It will be as simpel as (which is how the plugins work now):

1. install maven (apt-get maven, brew install maven) (once)
2. run "mvn assembly:assembly -DskipTests" and you will have the distribution under target.

The good thing with maven is that you simply import it into the IDE (all support maven nicely) and on you go with developing elasticsearch.

-shay.banon

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module,
> I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on
> elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...

Not a Java person, but my experience with compiling ES via gradle was a
joy, and my very limited experience with maven has been a good deal more
painful

clint

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

i will give it a quick go in the next couple of days, and will probably leave things to do later (like porting the debian packaging to maven) that I could definitely use help with...

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

>    Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module,
> I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on
> elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...

Not a Java person, but my experience with compiling ES via gradle was a
joy, and my very limited experience with maven has been a good deal more
painful

clint

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Loco Jay
would be great to reference them back as git submodules so one can see any changes in one place.

On Dec 5, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Clinton Gormley wrote:

>>   Now that effectively, we can have elasticsearch as a single module,
>> I will try and see how hard it is to move from gradle to maven on
>> elasticsearch itself as well. Will update...
>
> Not a Java person, but my experience with compiling ES via gradle was a
> joy, and my very limited experience with maven has been a good deal more
> painful
>
> clint

Re: Built in plugins moved to their own repos

Ivan Brusic
I think that separating the plugins is a great idea. Good job!

I have built plugins using both Maven and SBT (Scala Build Tool). The
only trick is conforming to the elasticsearch plugin naming
convention/packaging especially since Maven is about convention over
configuration.

Ivan