CLA sign required even for tiny typo fix?

CLA sign required even for tiny typo fix?

Lukáš Vlček
Hi,

May be some companies showing what the future trend will be? :-)

(yes, I am biased, I work for one of the companies listed in the blog post)

Regards,
Lukas

Re: CLA sign required even for tiny typo fix?

Mark Walkom
I'd support this for what it's worth :)

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: [hidden email]
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 8 July 2014 21:27, Lukáš Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

May be some companies showing what the future trend will be? :-)

(yes, I am biased, I work for one of the companies listed in the blog post)

Regards,
Lukas

Re: CLA sign required even for tiny typo fix?

Lukáš Vlček
Ivan,

I think it is mostly about lowering the barrier for contributors regarding small updates ("so you found a missing comma in guide example and you want to fix it") and saving resources on the company side with CLA maintenance. As a company you can always explicitly ask for CLA sign in individual cases. As a result you end up with more resources for the other things. Anyway, I just wanted to point this out for inspiration.

Regards,
Lukas

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Ivan Brusic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We can’t start to differentiate between one contribution or the other, cause then we start a different discussion, to where does the line goes. Its simpler to have a consistent message.

Btw, our CLA is explicitly very lightweight, and it aims at protecting the contributors as well. Its quite tricky legally, but this is the spirit (of the stricter) Apache CLA as well.

I would personally not use either Joynet or JBoss as the beacon to follow on such issues. Obviously, if this spreads, then I will make sure we study the legal aspects of it, from both contributors *and users* perspective.

On Jul 8, 2014, at 19:19, Lukáš Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Shay,

I think it is not fair to say that JBoss is trying to be the beacon here (my formulation could make it sound like that in my initial post - sorry about that), it is more about JBoss catching up with the rest of the company (i.e. Red Hat). See the below link for more details:

Regards,
Lukas

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

joergprante@gmail.com
I think Elasticsearch CLA is fair. It helps in extreme scenarios, for example if Elasticsearch had to move to a new home or umbrella and continue development from there, without having to ask each and every contributor for permission.

Also, playing devil's advocate, Elasticsearch development might be impacted in a negative way by people trying to file copyright infringement lawsuits where courts would have to rule about licenses used in the controversial software from many parties, if they are valid or not in an international context. The matter of international copyright law is very complex and full of pitfalls. CLA's allow to focus such lawsuits much easier to the individual contributor(s) of the controversial code without affecting other contributions. CLAs are not so bad, they fall under common law, they do not only protect a company, but also preserve individual contributions to an international software project as a long-lasting good.

Jörg