Cannot Get REST API Clients to See Server on Win 8

Cannot Get REST API Clients to See Server on Win 8

Jerry Burman
I downloaded ElasticSearch (ES) 1.3.2 and Java jre1.8.0_20 and attempted to follow the ES tutorial.  I am new to ES.  I installed ES on my Windows 8.1 x64 laptop and it appears that the server is running in the prompt window.  I also set up JAVA_HOME.  However, when I attempt to run the simple tutorials under either Chrome Sense or Mozilla, I get server errors (e.g. status 0).  I also attempted to run service install and service start (x64) from the ES directory and both failed.  How can I get the clients to see the server and make service operate properly?