Changing NON Dynamic setting of allready created index

Changing NON Dynamic setting of allready created index

asthanaamish
Hi
We have an index with setting like :

curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/<some index name>/_settings' -d '{
        "analysis" : {
          "filter" : {
            "truncate_filter" : {
              "type" : "truncate",
              "length" : "7000"

Now we want to change the length of the truncate filter setting without recreating the index.

When we tried to change the setting it gives error:
error": "ElasticsearchIllegalArgumentException[Can't update non dynamic settings.....

This one can understand.

Then we went ahead and did the following:
a) Close the index
b) Again changed the setting to something smaller say 5000.  It went through fine.
c) Open the index and checked the setting. It shows the new setting as 5000 and as far as we can see it works fine.

Question : What exactly happened here. I am assuming it has not changed anything for the existing data, but is using this setting only for new data. Is this a bug or intended behaviour or just a workaround which we should not use.

regards and thanks
amish

---