Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

AnthonyNystrom
Is there anyway to suggest field mappings on an existing index's fields? Rather than having to create the suggestions manually?

For example:

Existing index field: domains

I would like to use that field for suggester as well, and the data already in that field.

Thoughts?

Re: Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

Binh Ly-2
Unfortunately not for the completion suggester. The reason is because the completion suggester uses an optimized data structure that is populated at index-time. So you have to reindex your data (with the completion type) to build that data structure.

Re: Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

Alexander Reelsen-2
Hey

this is currently not possible. From my experience, just adding arbitrary suggestions with the same weight is not resulting in a good user experience. Check out amazon for example, if you enter "iphone", the first match is definately ranked in the suggestions, as this is not an iphone case or the old iphone 3, but the most up to date one. This number might be based on the selections for example, but it is rarely not ranked.

Will arbitrary non-ranked suggestions work in your case? (at the end of the day, adding suggestions has two goals: Guiding the user faster to what he most likely wants, and in addition maybe even offloading the search engine, as suggestions might be more light-weight then queries).

--Alex

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM, AnthonyNystrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there anyway to suggest field mappings on an existing index's fields? Rather than having to create the suggestions manually?

For example:

Existing index field: domains

I would like to use that field for suggester as well, and the data already in that field.

Thoughts?

Re: Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

AnthonyNystrom
Hi thanks for the information...

Question then ...

I indeed do need to reindex from my river anyway. However, that field that I want to use for completion suggester is also a field that is needed in the primary index.

I suppose I could create a river from the single field using the "exclude" fields feature of mongoriver....

Thoughts?

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:16:02 AM UTC-5, Binh Ly wrote:
Unfortunately not for the completion suggester. The reason is because the completion suggester uses an optimized data structure that is populated at index-time. So you have to reindex your data (with the completion type) to build that data structure.

Re: Completion Suggester on existing index and fields

AnthonyNystrom
Hi Alex:

"Will arbitrary non-ranked suggestions work in your case?" -> I suppose they would yes. What is your suggestion?

One would think that I could create a new index mapping with an alias to the existing index however where in index is completion ...