Confused about saving (backing up) configuration information

Confused about saving (backing up) configuration information

Larry-2
I've been playing with both Elasticsearch and Solr.  I have made much more progress with Elasticsearch since it basically seems to work "out of the box" and then you can tweak things later.  Solr, on the other hand, seems to have numerous configuration files that must be customized to make anything work.

My difficulty, though, is how to recreate the configuration tweaks I use in one Elasticsearch installation for use elsewhere.  It's obvious with Solr since they are all in regular filesystem files.  How do I extract the customizations I have done, without pulling all the stored data at the same time?  I see that the API has "get mapping", "get settings" etc, but how do I know that I have pulled all the settings out?  Is there a way to extract all configuration information without extracting the data?

Re: Confused about saving (backing up) configuration information

Mark Walkom
Depends what OS you are on and how you installed it, but check out http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-dir-layout.html - specifically the conf directory.

You should be able to collect whatever you have applied, if you are using the API as it seems, via /_cluster/settings.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor