Control the order of shards recovery on node re-start

Control the order of shards recovery on node re-start

Ankit Jain
Hi All,

We are maintaining 200 shards per node and each shard has 50 to 100 GB of data. We are creating a new index for each day. Due to large number of shards and large shard size, the restart of node is taking very high time.

Is it possible to control the order of recovery of shards, so that the shards of current index will recover first, then the shards of previous day index and so on?

Regards,
Ankit Jain

Re: Control the order of shards recovery on node re-start

shadyabhi
I'm not sure what's the best way to do this but as a workaround, you
could close the indices before doing a restart and then open them in
the order you want the indices to be recovered.

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/indices-open-close.html

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Ankit Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are maintaining 200 shards per node and each shard has 50 to 100 GB of
> data. We are creating a new index for each day. Due to large number of
> shards and large shard size, the restart of node is taking very high time.
>
> Is it possible to control the order of recovery of shards, so that the
> shards of current index will recover first, then the shards of previous day
> index and so on?
>
> Regards,
> Ankit Jain

Abhijeet Rastogi (shadyabhi)

Re: Control the order of shards recovery on node re-start

Ankit Jain
Hi Abhijeet,

Thanks for response.

A workaround suggested by you is good but we would require a solution which can also work in case of node craches.
Also, we don't want to close whole indices in case of restart of one node that server only few shards.

Regards,
Ankit Jain