Debugging and optimising queries and indicies

Debugging and optimising queries and indicies

Кирилл Ширинкин
I have a small set of data ~120Gb collected over 7 days and Kibana dashboard with 4 widgets. All fields of indices are not analysed (I've turned it off because for this data splitting strings into terms is not needed). When I open the dashboard it takes ElasticSearch minutes to process request and then it just throws Timeout. Timeout is fine if request takes too long, but the problem is why does it take so long? I know that it depends on data, on type of visualisations I've used etc. etc. So the more valid question is: how do I debug this request, and how do I optimise them and/or indices to be faster? I would like to get search results within few seconds. What is an advised workflow for improving performance in ES?