Difference b/w Index,type,node

paul
Hi ,

I have started using elastic search , I have couple of confusions regarding the terminologies they use in the elastic search documentation , these may be naive but will help me understand configuration better .

Index: Its is the place where all the data is stored. Its a lucene instance. an index can have multiple types.
Type: Its just a logical partition inside the Index.
Node: Its is a instance of elastic search server . It can have multiple indexes . A single system(PC) can run multiple instances of elastic search.

Index can have shards , running on different nodes , how do we put the shards on different nodes i.e. different elastic search servers?

Any links to ppt or documentation will be helpful.

Regards
Paul

Re: Difference b/w Index,type,node

Mark Walkom
ES handles allocation of shards automatically, it's one of the things that makes it so awesome.

There is this glossary in the documentation that might assist - http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/glossary.html

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: [hidden email]
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 13 November 2013 15:59, paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Mark got more clarity after going through  the glossary.

email: <a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="2sWz-_7inowJ">ma...@...