Difference between Delete All indices and Close All indices

Difference between Delete All indices and Close All indices

Rubén Ortiz
Hi

I'm learning how to maintain clean my ES and I found this article today

http://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current/examples.html

The first example is "Delete all indices older than". I've installed curator tool to execute the command:

# curator delete indices --older-than 14 --time-unit days --timestring '%Y.%m.%d'
2015-05-04 11:50:49,600 INFO      Job starting: delete indices
2015-05-04 11:50:49,613 INFO      Pruning Kibana-related indices to prevent accidental deletion.
2015-05-04 11:50:50,046 INFO      Job completed successfully.

then I've checked again my index and the index called "logstash-2015.04.19" have disappeared. So, turns out it really remove all index and the documents but then... What is difference with "close indices"?

Re: Difference between Delete All indices and Close All indices

Mark Walkom-2
Close leaves them on disk but removes them from being queried, which also means it takes barely any heap to maintain.
It might be useful if you have lots of disk space but not much heap, it just means you have to manually open them when you want to query them.