Quantcast

Distributed transaction support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Distributed transaction support

Samuel Yung-2
Hi,

How is the distributed transaction support in ES? Specifically will it
support JTA transaction in the near future, much like the current
compass implementation does?

Rds,
Samuel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Distributed transaction support

kimchy
Administrator
ElasticSearch does not and will not support transactions, its atomic on a single operation level. Compass solution for transactions is not scalable, especially with recent Lucene changes. It will need to be solved in a different manner, for example, queue the indexing request, and be able to handle failures to index gracefully.

-shay.banon

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Samuel Yung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

How is the distributed transaction support in ES? Specifically will it
support JTA transaction in the near future, much like the current
compass implementation does?

Rds,
Samuel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Distributed transaction support

Samuel Yung-2
Hi Shay,

So you mean global transactions between database and index can only be
possible using programmatic transaction? Could it be possible to
implement a JTA transaction manager in Elastic Search?

Rds,
Samuel

On Jul 8, 7:01 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ElasticSearch does not and will not support transactions, its atomic on a
> single operation level. Compass solution for transactions is not scalable,
> especially with recent Lucene changes. It will need to be solved in a
> different manner, for example, queue the indexing request, and be able to
> handle failures to index gracefully.
>
> -shay.banon
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Samuel Yung <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > How is the distributed transaction support in ES? Specifically will it
> > support JTA transaction in the near future, much like the current
> > compass implementation does?
>
> > Rds,
> > Samuel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Distributed transaction support

kimchy
Administrator
Yes, only programmatically. There won't be a JTA transaction manager in elasticsearch. You can't do it and maintain the scalability aspect of elasticsearch.

-shay.banon

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Samuel Yung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shay,

So you mean global transactions between database and index can only be
possible using programmatic transaction? Could it be possible to
implement a JTA transaction manager in Elastic Search?

Rds,
Samuel

On Jul 8, 7:01 pm, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ElasticSearch does not and will not support transactions, its atomic on a
> single operation level. Compass solution for transactions is not scalable,
> especially with recent Lucene changes. It will need to be solved in a
> different manner, for example, queue the indexing request, and be able to
> handle failures to index gracefully.
>
> -shay.banon
>
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Samuel Yung <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > How is the distributed transaction support in ES? Specifically will it
> > support JTA transaction in the near future, much like the current
> > compass implementation does?
>
> > Rds,
> > Samuel

Loading...