ES pure Java?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ES pure Java?

Andrej
Hello,

I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
now.

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks!
Andrej
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ES pure Java?

kimchy
Administrator
It is in "pure" Java, yea, can you gist your error file?

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Andrej Rosenheinrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
now.

Does anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks!
Andrej

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ES pure Java?

Andrej
https://gist.github.com/01670f04f86c011980bd
https://gist.github.com/ca6885a9655399e8958b

On 2 Mai, 18:06, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is in "pure" Java, yea, can you gist your error file?
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Andrej Rosenheinrich <
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I hope this question does not sound too strange, is elasticsearch pure
> > Java or is it using any connections to native routines? The background
> > is pretty simple, since updating to es 0.19.3 I had several JVM
> > crashes with segmentation faults caused by an elasticsearch thread. So
> > I am trying to figure out if this is a problem of ES or the JVM. I
> > never had problems like this with any other version for over a year
> > now.
>
> > Does anyone experience the same problem?
>
> > Thanks!
> > Andrej
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ES pure Java?

tsuna
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Andrej Rosenheinrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://gist.github.com/01670f04f86c011980bd
> https://gist.github.com/ca6885a9655399e8958b

I'm not sure what enables you to say the SEGV is "caused by an
elasticsearch thread".  To me it appears that you're crashing within
VMThread, possibly during a GC.

I've had weird errors like this in past, and it was often due to
failing hardware, most commonly bad memory introducing random SIGSEGV
and SIGILL.  GC activity tends to tickle failing hardware because it
touches a lot of pages in memory.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ES pure Java?

kimchy
Administrator
Also, try and update the JVM to a new version, you are using 1.6 u24, which has bugs, especially when comrpessed oops are enabled.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM, tsuna <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Andrej Rosenheinrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://gist.github.com/01670f04f86c011980bd
> https://gist.github.com/ca6885a9655399e8958b

I'm not sure what enables you to say the SEGV is "caused by an
elasticsearch thread".  To me it appears that you're crashing within
VMThread, possibly during a GC.

I've had weird errors like this in past, and it was often due to
failing hardware, most commonly bad memory introducing random SIGSEGV
and SIGILL.  GC activity tends to tickle failing hardware because it
touches a lot of pages in memory.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com