ElasticSearch roadmap?

Lukáš Vlček
Is there any roadmap for ElasticSearch?

I know, I know... this project has been just released but I would
welcome some perspective on where it is heading and what are the plans
about integration with other existing (possibly related) projects or
frameworks.

Re: ElasticSearch roadmap?

Hi Lukas,

   Well, the roadmap is very solid in my head, and here I thought people can read minds :). Jokes aside, I will start filling out the github issues with features that I plan to support, and tag them with the version I hope they will be supported on. People can vote (and open features) on what they want. Off the top of my head, here are some of them (in no particular order):

1. Expose Native Java API (no HTTP, low level TCP communication with optimized serialization). Basically, its almost there already since thats what the Http module uses :).
2. Embeddability in JVM, both for testing and for starting nodes embedded in applications (both data nodes and non data nodes).
3. Bulk Gateways (write behind module), including support for persistent storage of the index on HDFS (Hadoop), Amazon S3, Voldemort, Cassandra.
4. Enhance search features including "all" field, highlighting, more like this, term stats, and more. Basically, things that I did in Compass.
5. Enhanced facet support (bobo browse like, hopefully reusing it).
6. Possible another implementation of an Engine to try and get to full real time and not near real time.
7. Enhance the administration API allowing to get stats (index state, ...), JVM stats, and so on.
8. On top of all the JSON API, start building the coolest, web 2.0, HTML 5, (insert web framework here) administration console.

Other cool features can be:

1. Reimplement Compass (OSEM, ORM integration, ...) on top of ElasticSearch. Once the Java API is in place, it should be quite simple.
2. Implement automatic indexing of database based on custom SQL queries (similar to the Compass Jdbc Gps).
3. Work with people on plugins to automatically index content that is stored in other systems, like Cassandra, Voldemort, mongodb, Couchdb, ... .
4. Native client libraries in Ruby/Rails (ActiveSearch or something), Python, ... (really need help from the community here).

That should keep me busy (and hopefully people would join the effort!). Anything on your mind?

-shay.banon

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Lukas Vlcek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there any roadmap for ElasticSearch?

I know, I know... this project has been just released but I would
welcome some perspective on where it is heading and what are the plans
about integration with other existing (possibly related) projects or
frameworks.

Re: ElasticSearch roadmap?

PrasathRajan
Hi All,

  Does ElasticSearch upcomming release have any road map?

Thanks
Prasath Rajan

Re: ElasticSearch roadmap?

Nikolas Everett

Your best bet is to look at github issues and pull requests tagged for the next release.

Elasticsearch the company has a roadmap for elasticsearch the open source project but it isn't public.

Nik