Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
This post was updated on .
Hi All,
 I am executing a cluster query to fetch the documents and cluster it using Carrot2.

If I am doing the query with the words "mobiles, samsung, test" it works fine but if I do the query with word "mobile" it is giving the following exception.
    error: ReduceSearchPhaseException[Failed to execute phase [fetch], [reduce] ]; nested: c[bytes can be at most 32766 in length; got 131074];
    status: 503

Any solution to solve such type of exception or how I can find the root cause for the same?

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
Hello All,

Did any one encountered the same issue if yes then please let me know the solution.

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Tony Su
Prahy,
Although I don't know the solution,
It does look like using a RegEx in your query is causing an overflow of a byte length limit.

Accordingly, I suspect if you can find the setting for that, it should solve your problem.

Tony

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
Tony,
I am not using any Regex in my query explicitly.

Is there any place in config file or somewhere else where I can confirm for the same if its taking internally?

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
Hi All,

Below is the logs for the same issue:

[2014-03-03 22:40:24,956][DEBUG][action.search.type       ] [Node164] failed to reduce search
org.elasticsearch.action.search.ReduceSearchPhaseException: Failed to execute phase [fetch], [reduce]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.finishHim(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:182)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:156)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:150)
        at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteFetch(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:407)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeFetch(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:150)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:134)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: lingo3g.ft$c: bytes can be at most 32766 in length; got 131074
        at lingo3g.ft.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.ft.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.cx.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.cx.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.df.b(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.df.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.v.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm$1.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.carrot2.text.clustering.MultilingualClustering.clusterByLanguage(MultilingualClustering.java:237)
        at org.carrot2.text.clustering.MultilingualClustering.process(MultilingualClustering.java:119)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.carrot2.core.ControllerUtils.performProcessing(ControllerUtils.java:106)
        at org.carrot2.core.Controller.process(Controller.java:356)
        at org.carrot2.core.Controller.process(Controller.java:269)
        at org.carrot2.elasticsearch.ClusteringAction$TransportClusteringAction$1.onResponse(ClusteringAction.java:664)
        at org.carrot2.elasticsearch.ClusteringAction$TransportClusteringAction$1.onResponse(ClusteringAction.java:623)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.innerFinishHim(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:198)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.finishHim(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:180)
        ... 8 more

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Dawid Weiss
> Caused by: lingo3g.ft$c: bytes can be at most 32766 in length; got 131074

Looks like something is not playing nice on the Lingo3G-Carrot2-ES
boundary. Let me investigate.

Dawid

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
This post was updated on .
Ok Dawid, waiting for your reply...

Some info which might help wrt ES and all I am using:

ES version: 1.0.1
Lingo3g Version: 1.9.0
Clustering Plugin version: 1.3.0

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Dawid Weiss
This is a bug in Lingo3G. It will only manifest itself if you have
single tokens ("words") that exceed over 30k in UTF8... So in reality
it shouldn't be the case unless you're trying to cluster languages
without whitespace delimiters (and with incorrect language
preprocessing  option for Lingo3G).

Could you provide a repeatable test case to my e-mail address if the
above is not the case? We will try to fix the bug in the next release
but I still think you should cluster on fields that don't contain such
awkward tokens.

Dawid

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM, prashy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok Dawid, waiting for your reply...

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
I have sent the particular scenario in which I am getting the error. Also I am using common words token only for search not any awkward tokens.

So just let me know if the issue gets fixed or any temporary solution is there to solve the same.

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
One more observation in above scenario.

1) The records returned by the "mobile" is 287 so if I set the "size" (in query) as < 287 it is working fine but in case of >=287 it is throwing the exception.

2) The records returned by the "samsung" is 191 so if I set the "size" as < 191 it is working fine also in case of >=191 it is working fine.

So just to conclude the keywords which are throwing exception works fine if I am giving the size <= total records. But I hope it(size) shouldn't be dependent on the number of records returned.

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
Hi Dawid,

As you proposed the lingo3g jar file with quick fix so it was working fine but today I got the issue again wrt search query.

Below is the logs for the same let me know if anything can be done for the same.

[2014-04-04 16:58:07,380][DEBUG][action.search.type       ] [Node164] [20] Failed to execute fetch phase
        at com.carrotsearch.hppc.IntArrayList.ensureBufferSpace(IntArrayList.java:368)
        at com.carrotsearch.hppc.IntStack.push(IntStack.java:75)
        at lingo3g.co.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.cx.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.cx.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.df.b(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.df.a(Unknown Source)
        at lingo3g.v.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm$1.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.carrot2.text.clustering.MultilingualClustering.clusterByLanguage(MultilingualClustering.java:231)
        at org.carrot2.text.clustering.MultilingualClustering.process(MultilingualClustering.java:119)
        at com.carrotsearch.lingo3g.Lingo3GClusteringAlgorithm.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.carrot2.core.ControllerUtils.performProcessing(ControllerUtils.java:106)
        at org.carrot2.core.Controller.process(Controller.java:356)
        at org.carrot2.core.Controller.process(Controller.java:269)
        at org.carrot2.elasticsearch.TransportCarrot2ClusteringAction$1.onResponse(TransportCarrot2ClusteringAction.java:97)
        at org.carrot2.elasticsearch.TransportCarrot2ClusteringAction$1.onResponse(TransportCarrot2ClusteringAction.java:58)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.innerFinishHim(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:190)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.finishHim(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:172)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:152)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
        at org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteFetch(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:346)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeFetch(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:133)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Dawid Weiss

Increase heap space for Elastic Search? You're probably trying to
cluster large documents (or a large number of snippets). Lingo3G is
designed to cluster 1000-5000 docs, fast, but in-memory. For larger
document collections you need to increase the heap or switch to
off-line clustering with other software (Apache Mahout, for example).

Dawid

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Prashant Agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:152)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteFetch(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:346)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeFetch(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:133)

Actually this exception I am getting, consists of clustering ~300 records of size ~10KB each.

Also doubled the heap size by using ES_MAX_MEM parameter in elasticsearch.in.sh

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Prashant Agrawal
Actually this exception I am getting, consists of clustering ~300 records of size ~10KB each.

Also doubled the heap size by using ES_MAX_MEM parameter in elasticsearch.in.sh

Regards,
~Prashant
+91-8097606642

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:152)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$3.onResult(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteFetch(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:346)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeFetch(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
>         at
> org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:133)

http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/Error-ReduceSearchPhaseException-tp4050531p4053490.html
To unsubscribe from Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException", click here.
NAML

Re: Error "ReduceSearchPhaseException"

Dawid Weiss
Increase the heap. Can't say what the problem is without having the data.

D.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Prashant Agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >         at
>> >
>> > org.elasticsearch.search.action.SearchServiceTransportAction.sendExecuteFetch(SearchServiceTransportAction.java:346)
>> >         at
>> >
>> > org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction.executeFetch(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:146)
>> >         at
>> >
>> > org.elasticsearch.action.search.type.TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction$AsyncAction$2.run(TransportSearchQueryThenFetchAction.java:133)
>> >         at
>> >
>> > java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
>> >         at
>> >
>> > java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
>> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

While doing the clustering with wild card search its giving the exception but without wild card its working fine.

for ex.
executing the below query works fine:
{
  "search_request": {
    "fields": [
          "Content",
          "SessionAtt"
],
    "query": {
      "query_string": {
        "query": "com",
        "fields": [
          "Content",
          "SessionAtt"
        ]
    "size": 500,
    "from": 0,
    "highlight": {
      "fields": {
        "Content": {},
        "SessionAtt": {}
  "query_hint": "company",
  "field_mapping": {
    "content": [
      "fields.Content",
      "fields.SessionAtt"
    ]
  },
  "algorithm": "lingo3g"
}

But instead if i modify the query string query as  "query": "*com*", this throws the same exception as mentioned in previous posts.

So is there any workaround for the same?