File Descriptors

kayngee
Hi guys,

Kind of stuck with a fresh installation of an ElasticSearch cluster. everything is installed file descriptor limits are set yet when I run

curl -XGET "http://10.0.8.62:9200/_nodes?os=true&process=true&pretty=true" > stats.txt

I get

      "process" : {
        "refresh_interval" : 1000,
        "id" : 1200,
        "max_file_descriptors" : 4096,
        "mlockall" : true
      },

yet when I run

ulimit -n I get

65535

ElasticSearch is installed as a service and running as root? Any idea why this is happening?

Re: File Descriptors

Mark Walkom
What OS and how did you install it?

(Running as root is a really bad idea by the way!)

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: [hidden email]
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 22 May 2014 20:19, Shawn Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

Kind of stuck with a fresh installation of an ElasticSearch cluster. everything is installed file descriptor limits are set yet when I run

I get

      "process" : {
        "refresh_interval" : 1000,
        "id" : 1200,
        "max_file_descriptors" : 4096,
        "mlockall" : true
      },

yet when I run

ulimit -n I get

65535

ElasticSearch is installed as a service and running as root? Any idea why this is happening?

Re: File Descriptors

kayngee
so this issue only occurs on server restart. If I had to restart elasticsearch service it would load the correct number of file descriptors.

Regards
Shawn

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Shawn Ritchie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

Kind of stuck with a fresh installation of an ElasticSearch cluster. everything is installed file descriptor limits are set yet when I run

I get

      "process" : {
        "refresh_interval" : 1000,
        "id" : 1200,
        "max_file_descriptors" : 4096,
        "mlockall" : true
      },

yet when I run

ulimit -n I get

65535

ElasticSearch is installed as a service and running as root? Any idea why this is happening?

Shawn Ritchie

Re: File Descriptors

kayngee
No I did not use RPM used .tar for the installation process and my ulimit settings are in

 /etc/security/limits.conf
* - nofile 65535

/etc/sysctl.conf
fs.file-max = 512000