Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

12

Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

leslie.hawthorn
Hello everyone,

We took in feedback on moving to a Discourse based forum for about a month, and it sounds like most of the folks who thought it might not be optimal were people who preferred to interact with mailing lists instead of forums.

We're pretty confident the email functionality of Discourse will work well for our community, so we've gone ahead and rolled out the forums. You can visit them now and sign up for a user account at http://discuss.elastic.co. Registration is one time only and you can do so with any email address or authorizing via Facebook, GitHub, Google Accounts or Twitter.

Once you've created your account, you can set up your preferences to receive email as often or as rarely as you would like.

For those who'd prefer to interact solely via email, you can start doing so as soon as you've set these preferences. You can find full documentation on interacting with the forums solely via email here.[0]

Some anticipated FAQs:

1) Should I ask for help using the forums on this mailing list?
You're welcome to ask for help on this list, on IRC (#elasticsearch, #logstash or #kibana on Freenode) or within the forum in the Meta Elastic category.

2) Are you going to stop answering questions here?
No, we're going to leave the mailing list active for at least 30 days so our entire community can kick the tires. Quoting our internal company FAQ for this very question:
"If our community members find Discourse to be suboptimal, we may make the choice to use the forums only for certain tasks and preserve the existing mailing lists."

However, our goal is to provide a single source of truth for information on our products, so we're hoping the Discourse based forums really work for people. Our employees will be answering your questions with a pointer to a forum thread to encourage people to actually interact with the new resource, too.

3) So let's say that the forums work for people. What's the plan?
We'll set these mailing lists to read-only ~30 days from now (June 1, 2015). We're still working with the creators of Discourse to do a full import of our mailing list archives, so once that task is complete the read-only archives will still be preserved, but you can search through all that collective knowledge in one place at http://discuss.elastic.co

4) Is there an FAQ for using the forums?
We feel like the user interface for Discourse is pretty intuitive, but we have a short Notes on Using This Forum document [1] available to help you get started.

5) Where do I direct praise and pain points for the forums?
Feedback on the forums should be posted to the Meta Elastic category. [2] You can update it via email using address discuss-meta [at] elastic [dot] co once you've set up your user account.

6) I have another question that you have not answered. What should I do?
Please post a note in the Meta Elastic category, ping in IRC (I'm lh on Freenode, though anyone with ChanOps/Voice in #elasticsearch, #logstash and #kibana can help) or post a note in this thread.

[0] - https://discuss.elastic.co/t/email-only-interaction-with-the-forums/106
[1] - https://discuss.elastic.co/t/notes-on-using-these-forums/118
[2] - https://discuss.elastic.co/c/meta

Cheers,
LH

Leslie Hawthorn
Director of Developer Relations
http://elastic.co

Other Places to Find Me:
Freenode: lh
Twitter: @lhawthorn

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

Nikolas Everett

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM, leslie.hawthorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

And its falling over. 503s everywhere.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM, leslie.hawthorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

We took in feedback on moving to a Discourse based forum for about a month, and it sounds like most of the folks who thought it might not be optimal were people who preferred to interact with mailing lists instead of forums.

We're pretty confident the email functionality of Discourse will work well for our community, so we've gone ahead and rolled out the forums. You can visit them now and sign up for a user account at http://discuss.elastic.co. Registration is one time only and you can do so with any email address or authorizing via Facebook, GitHub, Google Accounts or Twitter.

And its falling over. 503s everywhere.

Thanks for the bug report. Addressing now....

Cheers,
LH
--
Leslie Hawthorn
Director of Developer Relations
http://elastic.co

Other Places to Find Me:
Freenode: lh
Twitter: @lhawthorn
Skype: mebelh
Voice: +31 20 794 7300

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

"Jürgen Wagner (DVT)"
The site is read-only. No signups possible. Hmm...

Good luck!
--Jürgen

juergen_wagner.vcf (380 bytes) Download Attachment

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM, "Jürgen Wagner (DVT)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The site is read-only. No signups possible. Hmm...

Known issue - we're addressing. Whee!

We'll update this thread when the issue is resolved.

Cheers,
LH

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I suspect its read only while they sort out resourcing issues. Cache hit rate is likely quite high while readonly.

On May 4, 2015 12:38 PM, Jürgen Wagner (DVT) <[hidden email]> wrote:
The site is read-only. No signups possible. Hmm...

Our friends at Discourse have reported that the site outage has been resolved. They'll keep up with updates via their Twitter account:

In the meantime, please go forth and use the forums. If they fall over again we will work to ensure speedy resolution.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Director of Developer Relations
http://elastic.co

Other Places to Find Me:
Freenode: lh
Twitter: @lhawthorn

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

joergprante@gmail.com
It does not work. I can not post messages with links.

After I try to post a new topic such as

----- snip----
To all of you who want to sneak at the features planned for ES 2.0, this issue collects some of it

Best,

Jörg
----snip----

I receive a denial

"Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post."

Beside the fact I included just one link, why this restriction? A bit sad that I am considered a new user after five years happily using ES but the machine is always right in the end ;)

Jörg

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Leslie Hawthorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tylerjl
Administrator
Good feedback Jörg! It really is helpful to figure out which aspects need to be tuned so that it fits our needs better. (So, thanks to everyone for kicking the tires on it.)

Discourse has lots of features that are intended to watch for spammers; restricting the number of links in a post is one of them. We worked on the settings for these but they can obviously be improved a little. I've raised the limit, as posting links to gists/etc. is obviously useful for newcomers asking for assistance.

Suggestions to fine-tune the forums is welcome, if you want to make these suggestions in the "Meta" category on Discourse, it'll help consolidate where we can track all of the feedback (and keep some of the Discourse-specific talk on discuss.elastic.co.)

Thanks!

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Leslie Hawthorn <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="KyMKhQ5nhXMJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">leslie....@...> wrote:

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Nikolas Everett <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="KyMKhQ5nhXMJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">nik...@...> wrote:

On May 4, 2015 12:38 PM, Jürgen Wagner (DVT) <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="KyMKhQ5nhXMJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">juergen...@...> wrote:
The site is read-only. No signups possible. Hmm...

Our friends at Discourse have reported that the site outage has been resolved. They'll keep up with updates via their Twitter account:

In the meantime, please go forth and use the forums. If they fall over again we will work to ensure speedy resolution.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Director of Developer Relations

Other Places to Find Me:
Freenode: lh
Twitter: @lhawthorn

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

shaunak
Hey Jörg,

I've removed this restriction from your account. You should be able to post more than 2 links in a post now :)

Shaunak

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 2:07:14 PM UTC-5, Jörg Prante wrote:
[...]

Thanks Shaunak,

I appreciate that. I think it would be more than welcome to let others of the community also take the advantage of including Github issues into the forum software which contain numerous links:

Best,

Jörg

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:05 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sadly, we cannot twibble bit to allow certain types of links but not others.

However, we can adjust the forum settings to allow users to include links in their posts from the start of using the forum. I've done so. Let us know if you have any further issues.

And, to reiterate what Tyler said earlier, it would be super awesome to put this feedback in the Meta Elastic category.[0]

Why you may ask?

1) Employees from Discourse are keeping an eye on our forum to help us help you have a good experience. They're not reading this list, though.

2) Trying for the single source of truth mentioned in my original post.

Thank you to everyone for the great feedback so far!

[0] - https://discuss.elastic.co/c/meta or via email discuss+meta [at] elastic [dot] co

Cheers,
LH

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I really do not care for the new mailing list.

First of all, I can no longer see real names and email addresses. All I see is whatever nonsensical handle someone choose on sign up. Searching for Adrien no longer returns his latest posts.

Second, since every email comes from [hidden email], I can no longer see who replied to a thread. All I see is the handle of the original poster. I can see the reply counts, but have no idea who the replies are from.

Add both of these issues together, and the list has now become very impersonal.

Cheers,

Ivan

On May 5, 2015 10:49 AM, "Leslie Hawthorn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Voice: <a href="tel:%2B31%2020%20794%207300" value="+31207947300" target="_blank">+31 20 794 7300

Please update your bookmarks! We moved to https://discuss.elastic.co/
---

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

Doug Turnbull
I agree.

While I appreciate the experimentation, I hope discourse can get to a point where I can forget it's even a forum. Whereby everything can just truly feel like a native mailing list with a great deal less friction, but it's not there yet.

Here's some of the missing features:

- a signup process that's more an email subscription (just paste in an email address) without having to create any kind of forum account or profile.

- the ability to reply to someone individually to their email address. The ability for others to email me directly without discourses PM feature.

- It needs the ability to subscribe per topic. Things are a bit noisy right now (ie I'm not interested in log stash)

- eliminate "noreply" in the email notifications. I don't feel like I should participate via email when I see this. Give it a friendly name.

Right now use via email feels second class. But I think it's the most important thing. I'm likely to scan my low priority inbox where mailing list emails are sent. I'm going to struggle to remember to check in on and participate in a forum to help folks. It's another place to go and all my other OSS mailing lists come to my email and I can work with them seemlessly. So I'm likely to forget to check or possibly not want to bother with elastic which uses a different system.

Yes, I do get the notifications, but it doesn't quite feel the same as a mailing list for the reasons above. It feels like a notification from another system.

Anyway long and frank email. Forgive the bluntness. I just wanted to express hopefully useful feedback. I do appreciate the thoughtfulness here. I know elastic and discourse folks are very smart. Email truly can become a first class experience and keep some of the great things about discourse.

Cheers!
Doug

Second, since every email comes from <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;noreply@discuss.elastic.co&#39;);" target="_blank">noreply@..., I can no longer see who replied to a thread. All I see is the handle of the original poster. I can see the reply counts, but have no idea who the replies are from.

On May 4, 2015 5:40 PM, "<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;joergprante@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">joergprante@..." <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;joergprante@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">joergprante@...> wrote:

Doug Turnbull Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 240.476.9983 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Author: Relevant Search from Manning Publications
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

--
Please update your bookmarks! We moved to https://discuss.elastic.co/
---

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

Ivan Brusic

I should have added something similar to what does expressed in his last paragraph. My feedback was meant to be constructive. Despite this being a technical mailing list, I still appreciate a more personal touch.

BTW, Doug, you can watch specific categories. There is a general watch-all setting that you might have turned on.

Ivan

On May 10, 2015 2:37 PM, "Doug Turnbull" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oh! I didn't see that. Thank you. I will look again.

Yeah I actually like many things about discourse. I also like many of the low friction aspects of a mailing list. I am worried my email sounds too negative. I should list positives like great markdown support and much prettier and more legible emails. Discourse is phenomenal forum software. I honestly hope they can really bridge the gap effortlessly to have as part of their capabilities truly effortless implementation of a dev mailing list with an optional forum view.

I'm sure I'll be using discourse to great effect (and it seems to be being used). So I could be completly wrong about all my points. :)

Author: Relevant Search from Manning Publications
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

---

Re: Forums Are Now Live at http://discuss.elastic.co

joergprante@gmail.com
+1 for Doug and Ivan

I'd also like to find the real names (which are available at Discuss because they are shown in the profile of a user) being added to the message view and the mail "From" header, for a more personal communication style. It would be easier to begin a reply with a greeting then.

Hopefully this is received as a constructive feedback and not as moaning about Discuss software.

Best,

Jörg