How many elastic search shards should I have for a physical node?

How many elastic search shards should I have for a physical node?

Avinash Pandey
There are many variables here like the number of documents, the size of documents.
What I want to understand though, is that what are the downsides of having of too many shards for a physical node?

---

Re: How many elastic search shards should I have for a physical node?

dadoonet
Each shard is a Lucene instance.
It uses memory, file descriptors, CPU, IO...

You should keep its number per node small.

If you are a RDBMS user, you probably limit the number of databases you manage on a single physical machine, right?

HTH

--
David ;-)