Insert later feature

vineeth mohan-2
Hi ,

I am doing a lot of bulk insert into Elasticsearch and at the same time doing lots of read in another index.

Because of the bulk insert my searches on other index are slow.

It is not very urgent that these bulk indexes actually gets indexed and are immediately searchable.

Is there anyway , I can ask Elasticsearch to receive the bulk inserts but do the actual indexing ( Which should be the CPU consuming part ) later.

I figured out that Elasticsearch would wait for 1 second before making the documents searchable.
Here , what is it waiting for ? Is it to index the document or reopening the indexWriter ?
Will it help me if i can configure this 1 second to 1 hour ?
If so , which parameter should i tweak.

Kindly let me know if there are any other similar features out there which can be of any help.

Thanks
          Vineeth

Re: Insert later feature

joergprante@gmail.com
Best method to achieve this would be to implement this in front of ES so the bulk indexing client runs only at the time it should run.

For the gathering plugin which I am working on, I plan to separate the two phases of gathering documents and indexing documents. So, by giving a scheduling option, it will be possible to index (or even reindex) gathered documents at a later time, for example, documents are continuously collected from various sources, like JDBC, web, or file system, and then indexed at some later time (for example at night). Such collected documents will be stored in an archive format at each gatherer node, like the archive formats supported in the knapsack plugin.

Jörg

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:52 AM, vineeth mohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Michael - Thanks for the configuration.

I believe the index operation is first written to translog ( Which i am not sure if is a part of lucene ) and then written to lucene later.
Here if we can ask ES , to accumulate a huge amount of feeds to index and index it later , will that do the trick ?

Thanks
             Vineeth

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Michael Sick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is possible to disable the translog sync (the component where the operations are passed from ES to Lucene) with index.gateway.local.flush: -1 and use the flush action for "manual commit" instead.

I have never done that practically, though.

Jörg

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM, vineeth mohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oops, the correct parameter is index.translog.disable_flush : true

index.gateway.local.flush: -1 is controlling the gateway.

Jörg

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Joerg ,

So if i disable it , ES wont write the feeds to lucene until i make a manual flush...
I believe translog is written to a file and its not resident in the memory.
This also means that translogs are maintained between restarts and we will never loose data.

If all the above are right , then this might be a good candidate for my purpose.

Thanks
           Vineeth

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:54 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was still thinking how well will this handle cases where i have like 10 Million to insert in the translog and  i ask ES to index them all in a single flush.
Is a heap dump likely to happen.

Thanks
           Vineeth

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM, vineeth mohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your config doesnt seem to work.
I gave the following parameter and while i  was doing some inserts , there was no unusual behavior. The head showed the total number of documents i had inserted and it was searchable.

index.translog.disable_flush : true

ES version - 0.90.9

Is there something i missed out ?

Thanks
            Vineeth

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM, vineeth mohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried the below too without any luck -

curl -XPUT 'localhost:9200/documents/_settings' -d '{
"translog" : {
"disable_flush" : true
'

Thanks
           Vineeth

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM, vineeth mohan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It's not a dynamic setting, afaik.

Sorry, I don't know for sure how a translog can grow forever.

For my purposes, I decided to handle the challenge in front of ES, with better timing control, and archive files for replay I can use outside of ES too.

Jörg