Installing ElasticSearch on Mac OS X

Pawel Krakowiak
I just installed ES on Mac OS X using Homebrew and got a warning near
the end:

Warning: JARs were installed to "lib".
Installing JARs to "lib" can cause conflicts between packages.
For Java software, it is typically better for the formula to
install to "libexec" and then symlink or wrap binaries into "bin".
See "activemq", "jruby", etc. for examples.

I have no idea about that and just started using a Mac, don't know if
that's important nor whether it should be reported here or somewhere
else, but I just want to notify you.

Re: Installing ElasticSearch on Mac OS X

fucema
This post was updated on .
Personally, I don't think you need to use Homebrew or any management package to install ElasticSearch. It's simple enough to untar, mv to /usr/local and then sudo ln -s ... cd elasticsearch; bin/elasticsearch -f

EDIT:
wget https://github.com/downloads/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-0.17.1.tar.gz
tar zxvf elasticsearch-0.17.1.tar.gz
sudo mv elasticsearch-0.17.1 /usr/local
cd /usr/local
sudo ln -s elasticsearch-0.17.1 elasticsearch
cd elasticsearch
bin/elasticsearch -f

voila