More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

Xudong You
hi,
I am building ES on cloud Virtual machines, the cloud platform provides different tier VMs to choose, say, 4 CPU cores, 28G memory, or 8 CPU cores, 14G memory etc. Different kind VM has different cost. To save our cost, I want to choose the VM whose cost not exceed our budget and has best performance or query.
So, from query performance point of view, should I choose VM with more CPU cores or more memory? Anyone has experience on the best combination of CPU & Memory for ES performance?

Re: More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

Mark Walkom-2
Depends - you will want to do some tests to see what sort of resources your use case requires.
Start with smaller machines and go from there.

On 29 April 2015 at 12:17, Xudong You <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,
I am building ES on cloud Virtual machines, the cloud platform provides different tier VMs to choose, say, 4 CPU cores, 28G memory, or 8 CPU cores, 14G memory etc. Different kind VM has different cost. To save our cost, I want to choose the VM whose cost not exceed our budget and has best performance or query.
So, from query performance point of view, should I choose VM with more CPU cores or more memory? Anyone has experience on the best combination of CPU & Memory for ES performance?

Re: More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

Ishafizan Ishak
question is subjective. good thing abt es is that u scale and throw in servers as needed. plus query performance also depends on your index settings/mappings/replicas.
i have a cluster instance at digitalocean https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

no of nodes: 10
- master: 3 (1gb 1 core)
- client: 5 (512mb 1 core)
- data: 3 (8gb 4 core)

total shards: 82
~160M docs

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 10:17:04 AM UTC+8, Xudong You wrote:
hi,
I am building ES on cloud Virtual machines, the cloud platform provides different tier VMs to choose, say, 4 CPU cores, 28G memory, or 8 CPU cores, 14G memory etc. Different kind VM has different cost. To save our cost, I want to choose the VM whose cost not exceed our budget and has best performance or query.
So, from query performance point of view, should I choose VM with more CPU cores or more memory? Anyone has experience on the best combination of CPU & Memory for ES performance?

Re: More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

Can you specify what kind of performance you mean?

- mimimal response time for a single query
- maximum throughput for all queries

For maximum performance, all kind of virtual machines are a bad choice in comparison to physical machines in your own data center.

Jörg

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Xudong You <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,
I am building ES on cloud Virtual machines, the cloud platform provides different tier VMs to choose, say, 4 CPU cores, 28G memory, or 8 CPU cores, 14G memory etc. Different kind VM has different cost. To save our cost, I want to choose the VM whose cost not exceed our budget and has best performance or query.
So, from query performance point of view, should I choose VM with more CPU cores or more memory? Anyone has experience on the best combination of CPU & Memory for ES performance?

Re: More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

Xudong You
I want better maximum throughput for all queries.
As for VM vs Physical machines. I agree that physical machines beat VM, but our strategy is to move our platform to cloud, so VM is only choice.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Xudong You <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="MiBiJENRHqcJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">xudon...@...> wrote:
hi,
I am building ES on cloud Virtual machines, the cloud platform provides different tier VMs to choose, say, 4 CPU cores, 28G memory, or 8 CPU cores, 14G memory etc. Different kind VM has different cost. To save our cost, I want to choose the VM whose cost not exceed our budget and has best performance or query.
So, from query performance point of view, should I choose VM with more CPU cores or more memory? Anyone has experience on the best combination of CPU & Memory for ES performance?

Re: More memory or more CPU cores help better performance?

joergprante@gmail.com
First you need to find out if your workload is CPU-bound or if it is network-bound.

If CPU-bound, go for the virtual machine with best CPU equipment.

If network bound, go for the virtual machine that offers best network connectivity.

It is very hard to get precise numbers for performance metrics in public virtual machines because there are many others using the same resources at the the same time in an unpredictable way.

Jörg

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Xudong You <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!
So per your experience, is Elasticsearch query more CPU-bound or IO-bound? Anyway, I will do more perf testing with real data on different VMs to find out the best CPU & Memory combination for my case.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Xudong You <<a onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;" href="javascript:" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="hphAYVjZYAMJ">xudon...@...> wrote:
[...]

As said, it depends.

When bulk-indexing documents, for example, my multi-threaded workload is network-bound. It can easily be made CPU-bound by pre-processing documents in single thread mode. Certain queries are CPU-bound, others not. If I retrieve millions of documents in a row, decompression overweighs query execution and result transport time. There are many knobs to turn, for example, caching, or scan/scroll. Because of this, there is no fixed rule for all situations.

Jörg