Multiple nodes on same machine : replicas?

DH

Multiple nodes on same machine : replicas?

DH
Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to set up a cluster of 10 nodes, distributed on five different computers.
Each computer have 2 full installation of ES v 0.90.5.
All indices on this cluster have 5 shards, 1 replica

I want to make sure that a replica will never be on the same computer as its primary, because a computer crash is far more common than an ES crash.
I'm currently trying a method using   "node.machine: aValue"  and   "cluster.routing.allocation.awareness.attributes: machine" in the configuration of my nodes, where aValue is different on each machine.

According to this :
https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/1352

and  according to the doc for 0.90.5 as well, this should ensure that I get what I want.
My problem is that, when creating my indices, all primary shards get allocated on the two nodes of a single machine, and no replica gets created, thus resulting in a yellow state.

Is there a way to have the shards distributed evenly through all nodes, while ensuring that my replicas will never be on the same computer as their primaries?

Thanks for any infos on that matter.

--
Please update your bookmarks! We moved to https://discuss.elastic.co/
---

Re: Multiple nodes on same machine : replicas?

Mark Walkom-2

Have you tried upgrading? That's a super old version which may not help.

Though that is the right setting.