Quantcast

No node available Exception

Eugene Strokin

After several months of work with no problem (without even restart), my application start to throw this exception once in a while:

Exception in thread "main" org.elasticsearch.client.transport.NoNodeAvailableException: No node available

at org.elasticsearch.client.transport.TransportClientNodesService$RetryListener.onFailure(TransportClientNodesService.java:214)

at org.elasticsearch.action.TransportActionNodeProxy$1.handleException(TransportActionNodeProxy.java:77)

at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$Adapter$2$1.run(TransportService.java:310)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

And it continues to work with no problem.

I couldn't find any clues why it could be happening.

Does anybody had this problem? Or could someone give some ideas how to investigate this?

Thanks in advance

Eugene S.

Re: No node available Exception

Eugene Strokin
Thank you for the reply. That was my initial thought as well. But the thing is, that the server which connects to ES and ElasticSearch are on the same physical box. So, there is any network connection between them which could be lost (I should mentioned it right off).
Does it change anything?
Anyway, I'll try to turn on logging on org.elasticsearch.client.transport and see what it says.
Thanks again.

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:52:38 AM UTC-4, kimchy wrote:
[...]

Ok,.. I've turned on DEBUG log level, and now I see this:

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [cached], type [cached], keep_alive [30s]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [index], type [cached], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [bulk], type [cached], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [search], type [cached], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [percolate], type [cached], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [management], type [scaling], min [1], size [5], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [flush], type [scaling], min [1], size [10], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [merge], type [scaling], min [1], size [20], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [refresh], type [cached], keep_alive [1m]

DEBUG threadpool - [Boneyard] creating thread_pool [snapshot], type [scaling], min [1], size [5], keep_alive [5m]

DEBUG netty - [Boneyard] using worker_count[8], port[9300-9400], bind_host[null], publish_host[null], compress[false], connect_timeout[30s], connections_per_node[2/4/1]

DEBUG transport - [Boneyard] node_sampler_interval[5s]

DEBUG NioProviderMetadata - Using the autodetected NIO constraint level: 0

DEBUG netty - [Boneyard] Connected to node [[#transport#-1][inet[{SERVER URL}/{SERVER IP}:9300]]]

All cyber users: 998

INFO  transport - [Boneyard] failed to get node info for [#transport#-1][{SERVER URL}/{SERVER IP}:9300]], disconnecting...

org.elasticsearch.transport.ReceiveTimeoutTransportException: [][inet[{SERVER URL}/{SERVER IP}:9300]][cluster/nodes/info] request_id [104] timed out after [5002ms]

at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$TimeoutHandler.run(TransportService.java:347)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

DEBUG netty - [Boneyard] Disconnected from [[#transport#-1][inet[{SERVER URL}/{SERVER IP}:9300]]]

Exception in thread "main" org.elasticsearch.client.transport.NoNodeAvailableException: No node available

at org.elasticsearch.client.transport.TransportClientNodesService$RetryListener.onFailure(TransportClientNodesService.java:214)

at org.elasticsearch.action.TransportActionNodeProxy$1.handleException(TransportActionNodeProxy.java:77)

at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$Adapter$2$1.run(TransportService.java:310)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Before I've got this exception I was able to run few searches and several update.

Looks like this is just a timeout. But I don't see any problem with network connection.

I thought that the server is very busy and couldn't return the result in 5 seconds. But I've checked other applications which use the same ES, and it looks like they are in normal operation, and return results relatively quickly. Even this application sometimes works just fine, but some times gives this exception.

Here is a little of stats from ES:

When I've got the exception I had:

Search requests per second - 200

Search time per second - 2,000

Get requests per second - 10

Get time per second - 100

I could debug more, but I need some direction, what should I do next.

Please help,

Thank you,

Eugene S.

On Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:21:32 AM UTC-4, kimchy wrote:
[...]

Ahmet Akyol
Setting client.transport.ping_timeout in the settings you pass to the TransportClient to 10s, doesn't work for me.

I can reach with "elasticsearch-head" but can't with java code.

TransportClient code and "elasticsearch-head"  both are on windows, ES node is on VMWare Player as a virtual machine. I use ES 0.19.8 .

Any idea?

P.s. : I can't believe that there is no proper java client using rest API :(

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Eugene Strokin <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="JPZ4s2AzhAcJ">eug...@...> wrote:

[...]

mattazoid
I get the same NoNodeAvailableException occasionally on our server (version 0.90.5). This one is a single node cluster. We use Java API to both index and search. ES logs do not show gc slowdowns during the affected time periods. We do have  client.transport.ping_timeout  set to 10s (from kimchy's recommendation in this thread). We are still looking into the issue. NewRelic server monitor shows very low I/O usage (using SSD's) and CPU never spiked above 50% (that too for a short time). We use bulk indexing for optimal performance on indexing. We do make use of MLT queries heavily on this server.

Will post back if we find some solution OR if the original posted found a solution please do post here.