Official .NET client

lasseschou
Hi,

According to your September blog post, http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/unleash-the-clients-ruby-python-php-perl/, more official clients will be added "in the future".

Have you got any concrete plans on releasing an official .NET client?

And if not, are you aware of any .NET client that "play nicely with the cluster", ie. handle node failure and is generally cluster-aware?

Thanks,
Lasse

Re: Official .NET client

Itamar Syn-Hershko
What do you mean by "handle node failure"?

I find NEST a great client for .NET https://github.com/Mpdreamz/NEST - with serialization/deserialization, Linq support and lots more

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Lasse Schou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

According to your September blog post, http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/unleash-the-clients-ruby-python-php-perl/, more official clients will be added "in the future".

Have you got any concrete plans on releasing an official .NET client?

And if not, are you aware of any .NET client that "play nicely with the cluster", ie. handle node failure and is generally cluster-aware?

Thanks,
Lasse

Re: Official .NET client

lasseschou
The optimal solution would be to configure the NEST client with IP addresses to the nodes, and then let NEST deal with all connection tasks, including removing a dead node from the connection list and re-adding it.

I know it's always a discussion about where to put this functionality, but take a look at how Couchbase's clients handle this. Very easy to use, and abstracts the cluster/node-awareness away from the developer.

[...]

Martijn Laarman-2
Hi Lasse,

I have put off writing baked in support for this because there are just so many different approaches to this and writing your own wrapper that handles your situation best is not that much work as Itamor pointed out.

See also: http://stackoverflow.com/a/14976103/47020

A lot of people also have hardware based loadbalancers in front of elasticsearch.

However, wether or not NEST will or won't be the official .NET client I do plan to fully adhere to client spec (https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-rest-api-spec) which should be released soon:

see: https://github.com/Mpdreamz/NEST/tree/feature/official-raw-client/src/ScriptCs.Generate.RawClient

after that my hands are itching to write a `Nest.ConnectionFactory` (if you have a better name please let me know!) nuget package that you can use to spawn clients of a pool, thoughts, ideas, code are all very much appreciated.

For the time being I've created a working item for this here:

https://github.com/Mpdreamz/NEST/issues/365

2013/10/23 Itamar Syn-Hershko <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="uocfKW2E40UJ">ita...@...>

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Lasse Schou <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="uocfKW2E40UJ">lasse...@...> wrote:
Hi,

According to your September blog post, http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/unleash-the-clients-ruby-python-php-perl/, more official clients will be added "in the future".

Have you got any concrete plans on releasing an official .NET client?

And if not, are you aware of any .NET client that "play nicely with the cluster", ie. handle node failure and is generally cluster-aware?

Thanks,
Lasse

Re: Official .NET client

joe castle
I still think that it would be nice to get an answer if there will be an official .NET client. It has nothing to do with NEST being good or not (it's not that all python clients were bad so they had to make an official one).

Re: Official .NET client

cdhall
Yes, there will be an official client for .NET.

Our decision to create our own clients was mostly about consistency for our users. To do that we created a set of low-level clients that map very closely to the REST api. We made sure (and are continuously doing so) that these clients implement all the API endpoints as well as all parameters and to the right thing.

We tried our best to avoid any design decisions in those clients to make sure everybody could use them, even if it means creating their own abstraction on top of it. The overhead of the clients are so small and their design flexible enough (we hope) that all the other clients can live on top of these.

"the intention is to provide a solid base which can be used by other implementors if they want to add specializations. we take care of the hard stuff like node failover, while sticking very close to the standard ES REST API". things like LINQ would be out of scope for this client, but eg the NEST client could be implemented on top of the official .net client to provide linq support while taking advantage of the networking improvments

I hope that answers your first question. For more information Honza Krai will be doing a webinar about this - why we chose to do the clients, what drove the design decisions we took. It should take place next week sometime.

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:58:38 AM UTC-5, joe castle wrote:
I still think that it would be nice to get an answer if there will be an official .NET client. It has nothing to do with NEST being good or not (it's not that all python clients were bad so they had to make an official one).

Re: Official .NET client

Loïc Wenkin
Hi,

I would like to know if a release date of a first .NET client is already planned, and if it's the case, when is it ?

Thanks for your replies.

Loïc