Partial upgrade possible?

arta
Hi,
I'm using 0.19.3 and it seems quite ancient version now :-)
So, I'm thinking of upgrade to the latest version 0.20.2.
Also, thinking of upgrade java6 to java7.
I have 19 data nodes and a bunch of non-data client nodes.

Can I upgrade partially?
For example, all clients and some of data nodes stay as is (0.19.3 on Java6), while some data nodes go to newer version (ex. 0.20.2 on Java7).

Re: Partial upgrade possible?

Otis Gospodnetic
Hello,

No, this seems to cause problems - a fair number of people tried this - just check the ES mailing list archives:

http://search-lucene.com/?q=cluster+upgrade+version&fc_project=ElasticSearch&fc_type=mail+_hash_+user

Otis
--
ELASTICSEARCH Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:23:33 PM UTC-5, arta wrote:
Hi,
I'm using 0.19.3 and it seems quite ancient version now :-)
So, I'm thinking of upgrade to the latest version 0.20.2.
Also, thinking of upgrade java6 to java7.
I have 19 data nodes and a bunch of non-data client nodes.

Can I upgrade partially?
For example, all clients and some of data nodes stay as is (0.19.3 on
Java6), while some data nodes go to newer version (ex. 0.20.2 on Java7).

Re: Partial upgrade possible?

arta
Thank you Otis, for the pointer.
I see mixing Java6 and Java7 is not a good idea, even for clients.
But how about ES 0.19.3 and 0.20.2?
I could not find any related post.
Can we mix them?

Re: Partial upgrade possible?

arta
Thank you very much Ivan.
I will upgrade all at once, then.

Re: Partial upgrade possible?

Dan Fairs
Hi Arta,

I need to perform similar upgrade. It would be great to hear how it goes. If you could post your experience back to the group, that would be fantastic.

Cheers
Dan

--
Dan Fairs | [hidden email] | @danfairs | secondsync.com

On 9 Jan 2013, at 01:18, arta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you very much Ivan.
> I will upgrade all at once, then.

Re: Partial upgrade possible?

Clinton Gormley-2
Hi all

> I need to perform similar upgrade. It would be great to hear how it
> goes. If you could post your experience back to the group, that would
> be fantastic.

I blogged my process for upgrading a running cluster a while back:

https://gist.github.com/3888120

hth

clint

Re: Partial upgrade possible?