Question about Scroll time

Robbie
Hi,
 Could anybody let me know the behavior of scroll when I am scanning through an index and the actions I take during this take more time than the scheduled scroll time?
The documentation states that "the scroll parameter is a time value parameter (for example: scroll=5m), indicating for how long the nodes that participate in the search will maintain relevant resources in order to continue and support it"
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-scroll.html
but does not say what the behavior will be after that time interval.

Are the subsequent search results which I get after the scroll time expires, not to be trusted?

Thanks,
Praveen

Re: Question about Scroll time

Alexander Reelsen-2
Hey,

if that specified time expires, file handles are closed and the state of time you used to dump out all your data is no longer preserved. While running scroll requests in the background, new lucene segments might be created or deleted, and a scroll requests keeps those deleted file handles open to ensure the data you requested is always the data, when the scroll request started. Makes sense?

--Alex

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Robbie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
 Could anybody let me know the behavior of scroll when I am scanning through an index and the actions I take during this take more time than the scheduled scroll time?
The documentation states that "the scroll parameter is a time value parameter (for example: scroll=5m), indicating for how long the nodes that participate in the search will maintain relevant resources in order to continue and support it"
but does not say what the behavior will be after that time interval.

Are the subsequent search results which I get after the scroll time expires, not to be trusted?

Thanks,
Praveen

Re: Question about Scroll time

Binh Ly-2
In addition to Alex, if the cleanup process has "expired" your search context due to timeout, you will get an error back the next time you scroll.