Recency

Clinton Gormley
Hiya all

How can I factor recency into the relevance score? ie add a boost factor
to docs that have been created more recently.

ta

clint

--
Web Announcements Limited is a company registered in England and Wales,
with company number 05608868, with registered address at 10 Arvon Road,
London, N5 1PR.

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 11:16 +0300, Shay Banon wrote:
> Thats a bit tricky. The best way to provide something like that is by
> elasticsearch providing you with an option to control the boosting
> based on external functions/field values. I plan to add this support
> to elasticsearch.

The problem with using external functions (if I understand it correctly)
is that it makes it tricky for us non-java types to use them.

I found this solution on the Solr site:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery

clint

--
Web Announcements Limited is a company registered in England and Wales,
with company number 05608868, with registered address at 10 Arvon Road,
London, N5 1PR.

Re: Recency

Lukáš Vlček

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 11:16 +0300, Shay Banon wrote:
> Thats a bit tricky. The best way to provide something like that is by
> elasticsearch providing you with an option to control the boosting
> based on external functions/field values. I plan to add this support
> to elasticsearch.

The problem with using external functions (if I understand it correctly)
is that it makes it tricky for us non-java types to use them.

Why? You just list the function name in request parameter.

--
Web Announcements Limited is a company registered in England and Wales,
with company number 05608868, with registered address at 10 Arvon Road,
London, N5 1PR.

Re: Recency

timrobertson100
I think he means if he has to write the function himself.
A recency one could be quite easy to implement as a standard function
and probably would get a lot of use.  The inverse would also make good
sense to me.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Lukáš Vlček <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 11:16 +0300, Shay Banon wrote:
>> > Thats a bit tricky. The best way to provide something like that is by
>> > elasticsearch providing you with an option to control the boosting
>> > based on external functions/field values. I plan to add this support
>> > to elasticsearch.
>>
>> The problem with using external functions (if I understand it correctly)
>> is that it makes it tricky for us non-java types to use them.
>
> Why? You just list the function name in request parameter.
>

>> I found this solution on the Solr site:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery
>>
>> clint
>> >

>> > cheers,
>> > shay.banon
>> >
>> > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Clinton Gormley
>> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >         Hiya all
>> >
>> >         How can I factor recency into the relevance score? ie add a
>> >         boost factor
>> >         to docs that have been created more recently.
>> >
>> >         ta
>> >
>> >         clint
>> >
>> >         --
>> >         Web Announcements Limited is a company registered in England
>> >         and Wales,
>> >         with company number 05608868, with registered address at 10
>> >         Arvon Road,
>> >         London, N5 1PR.
>> >

>> --
>> Web Announcements Limited is a company registered in England and Wales,
>> with company number 05608868, with registered address at 10 Arvon Road,
>> London, N5 1PR.

Re: Recency

Clinton Gormley

>         The problem with using external functions (if I understand it
>         correctly)
>         is that it makes it tricky for us non-java types to use them.
>
> Why? You just list the function name in request parameter.

I was taking 'external functions' to mean a custom function which I need
to write in Java.

>         I found this solution on the Solr site:
>         http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery

while here they have a list of predefined functions, and a syntax to
string them together, which makes sense to me.

It may be that, by "external functions" Shay meant the same thing as the
Solr example, in which case, I'll shut up :)

Re: Recency

Actually, I am thinking of a nicer way to do it then just a set of predefined functions. Writing the functions in an expression lang (like mvel, which is fast, and has a pretty nice syntax).

cheers,
shay.banon

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 12:36 +0300, Shay Banon wrote:
> Actually, I am thinking of a nicer way to do it then just a set of
> predefined functions. Writing the functions in an expression lang
> (like mvel, which is fast, and has a pretty nice syntax).

While it'd be great to support custom functions, it does mean that there
is another DSL that we have to learn to make use of them.

Having a library of commonly used functions would be very useful.

clint

Re: Recency

Sure, there will be a built in library as well.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Clinton Gormley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 12:36 +0300, Shay Banon wrote:
> Actually, I am thinking of a nicer way to do it then just a set of
> predefined functions. Writing the functions in an expression lang
> (like mvel, which is fast, and has a pretty nice syntax).

While it'd be great to support custom functions, it does mean that there
is another DSL that we have to learn to make use of them.

Having a library of commonly used functions would be very useful.

clint

Re: Recency

Lukáš Vlček
And how about to allow custom functions in Java as plugins too, the same way attachments plugin is done. Then anybody should be able to implement function in Java and provide jar for.
Lukas