Regarding node architecture initial setup

Regarding node architecture initial setup

phani.nadiminti
Hi All

     I have chosen to establish 4 nodes in my cluster. I read concept of dedicated master nodes and only data holding nodes in elastic search.please explain me briefly how can i establish cluster by using the above four nodes.

   suppose if i have chosen N/2+1 for 4 nodes the minimum no of master nodes would be 3 so one node left in my cluster. master nodes only managing and indexing data to other nodes i.e data nodes. to implement replica do we need 5 nodes because i left with only 1 data node where i can keep replica?

     other wise will the primary shard resides on any one of master node and replica will be hold my data node or please explain me how to design above scenarios with my four nodes in cluster.

Thanks

phani

Re: Regarding node architecture initial setup

Radu Gheorghe-2
Hello Phani,

Usually the dedicated masters are much smaller than the data nodes, because they have much less work to do. If the 4 nodes you're talking about are equal, it might be inefficient to add a 5th so you can have 2 data and 3 master nodes. Maybe for the same budget of adding the 5th you can add 3 small master nodes and keep the 4 as data nodes. Then you'd have minimum_master_nodes=2. This is the ideal case IMO.

If you don't have lots of data, you can have a setup with 3 nodes: all master-eligible, only two of them hold data and the 3rd would be a dedicated master that would act like a tie breaker. The downside is when both data nodes are super-busy that you won't have a cluster (the tie breaker won't be able to get a quorum). But then again, if both your data nodes are unresponsive, having a working cluster has little value.

You can extend this setup with your 4 nodes: all master-eligible, 3 data and one dedicated master. You'll have to increase minimum_master_nodes to 3 (otherwise you can have a split-brain). Your cluster will still tolerate one node going down as in the previous case, but you'll have more capacity. This might be the best bet (capacity vs safety) if you absolutely have to stick with the 4 servers.

Best regards,
Radu
Solr & Elasticsearch Support * http://sematext.com/

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Radu,

  Thanks for the suggestion and based on the criteria i designed one architecture using four nodes please suggest me the best way to arrange i satisfied all conditions in my architecture.

  node1 : Dedicated master
  node2 : mater and data
  node3:  master and data
  node 4: dedicated data node

          Satisfied n/2+1 minimum number of master nodes would be 3. and for fail over of data nodes i arranged node2,node3,node4. because i can keep 2 replicas to increase search performance that is the reason i allotted node2,3,4 as data nodes.

         on which node I have to set the minimum no of master nodes settings?

            please suggest me is this way is correct to arrange nodes?

Thanks
phani

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 3:23:35 PM UTC+5:30, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi All

     I have chosen to establish 4 nodes in my cluster. I read concept of dedicated master nodes and only data holding nodes in elastic search.please explain me briefly how can i establish cluster by using the above four nodes.

   suppose if i have chosen N/2+1 for 4 nodes the minimum no of master nodes would be 3 so one node left in my cluster. master nodes only managing and indexing data to other nodes i.e data nodes. to implement replica do we need 5 nodes because i left with only 1 data node where i can keep replica?

     other wise will the primary shard resides on any one of master node and replica will be hold my data node or please explain me how to design above scenarios with my four nodes in cluster.

Thanks

phani

Re: Regarding node architecture initial setup

Mark Walkom-2
Not much point having master and data only nodes for such a small cluster.
Just make them all master and data and then set min masters to 3.