Removing nodes from the cluster

Shairon Toledo
Hi guys,

I have a cluster with 5 nodes, I want removed 2 nodes from cluster.
What I'm doing is, before shutdown a node I run a gateway snapshot call, wait it, and so shut it down , however this action doesn't guarantee that all shards live in others nodes.

I'd like to know how what's the most accurate way to remove a node from the cluster keeping shards in the other nodes?

Shairon Toledo
http://hashcode.me

Re: Removing nodes from the cluster

Lukáš Vlček
You can use shard allocation features for this
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/index-modules/allocation.html

There was bunch of nice talks mentioning this feature at Berlin Buzzwords 2012 this year. Check the talk. One of them was ... ehm ... featuring two clowns (plus one nice gentleman in the audience) trying to demo this feature live: http://vimeo.com/album/1968418/video/44718093 (shard allocation feature is show in the end on the show)

Regards,
Lukas

http://hashcode.me

Re: Removing nodes from the cluster

Shairon Toledo
Good talk Lukas, and nice live-fix for ES multicasting :)

I tested allocation api last night, it took a time to remove a node, I got best performance doing /optimize, /snapshot and ...exclude._ip, it worked faster.

Thank you,