Quantcast

Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Mxims-2
Hi guys,

Is there a way I can run ElasticSearch nodes as Windows Service on  Windows 2008 R2 Servers?

Has anyone tried it? Is there any related documentation?

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Mxims-2
Hi Guys, any help on this??

Has anyone successfully installed it as windows service on any windows platform?

Thanks

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:37:38 AM UTC-8, Mxims wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a way I can run ElasticSearch nodes as Windows Service on  Windows 2008 R2 Servers?

Has anyone tried it? Is there any related documentation?

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Radu Gheorghe-2
Hello,

I'm not on Windows if I remember correctly, it's just a matter of running elasticsearch.bat to make it work.

If you need a starting point for going further, check out these two links:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8760696/running-elastic-search-as-a-windows-service
http://captaincodeman.com/2011/05/20/elasticsearch-windows-service-2008-x64/

I'd suggest you try the steps described there and post back here when/if you run into issues.

Best regards,
Radu
--
http://sematext.com/ -- ElasticSearch -- Solr -- Lucene

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Mxims <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys, any help on this??

Has anyone successfully installed it as windows service on any windows platform?

Thanks

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:37:38 AM UTC-8, Mxims wrote:
Hi guys,

Is there a way I can run ElasticSearch nodes as Windows Service on  Windows 2008 R2 Servers?

Has anyone tried it? Is there any related documentation?

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

sujoysett

We have been using ES as a service for at least last 6 months using yajsw (http://yajsw.sourceforge.net/) on Windows 2003 server and Windows 7.
We usually configure two nodes (one master and one data) in each physical server, and both are registered as separate service in each server. This was essential for our server as our physical servers are remote machines and we use Windows Remote Desktop (multiple users, multiple terminals) to connect to them. So, running ES from any particular logged in user was problematic for us.

It is pretty easy enough. Following are the steps.

1. start your elasticsearch.bat
2. Grab the java pid using ProcessExplorer
3. Use the pid to generate a yajsw config file.
4. Change service name in the config file.
5. Shut down elasticsearch.
6. Register the service using the config file.
7. Start the service from Windows services screen.
8. Keep the config file safe, it will be necessary for uninstalling the service, if necessary.

Hope this helps.
In case u need any more details, please ask.

-- Sujoy.

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Mxims-2
Radhu & Sujoy,

Thank you so much for your help on this. I will checkout these options and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Mxims-2
I tried installing the service using the procedure on - http://captaincodeman.com/2011/05/20/elasticsearch-windows-service-2008-x64/

I was able to install the service successfully. However, I see some stability issues with the service. The service stops abruptly with Java fatal error.. Any of you guys experienced this issue?

I am looking for alternative solution now.. @Sujoy, Do you have more info on the service you created? Do you mind sharing, the config file, other settings you had used for your service, please.

On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:35:14 PM UTC-8, Mxims wrote:
Radhu & Sujoy,

Thank you so much for your help on this. I will checkout these options and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Re: Running ElasticSearch as a Windows Service on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Mxims-2
Sujoy,

Thanks a lot for the pointer.. I just installed a new service using the process you suggested - http://yajsw.sourceforge.net/#mozTocId444599

I will see how it goes... in terms of stability.

Thanks

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:43:04 AM UTC-8, Mxims wrote:
[...]

We have been running the service for more than a week now. So far it has been very stable. However I see one issue with the service, the Windows Service doesn't start automatically when the system reboots. If I start it manually after the system rebbot, it does start without any issues. I have configured the service's 'Startup Type' to be 'Automatic', and 'Log On As'  to be 'Local System". Did you guys have any similar issues? Any pointeres??

Thanks

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:31:27 AM UTC-8, Mxims wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Is it somehow related to windows credentials?
Can u make the service run under any user account upon restart by providing the log on credentials in the service?

-- Sujoy.

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:14:43 PM UTC+5:30, Mxims wrote:
[...]

Costin Leau
Just to clarify:

Since 0.90.5, Elasticsearch provides support for installing Elasticsearch as a service out of the box through
service.bat [1]. The installer mentioned in this thread is outside Elasticsearch and Hendrik takes all the credit for it.

Cheers,

P.S. 0.90.6 will have some nice fixes, especially when dealing with custom memory settings.

[1] http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-service-win.html

On 30/10/2013 9:02 PM, Renjith wrote:

> Thank you Hendrik. I had to go for a work around when we installed this in production back in Apr. I am happy to see
> that elasticsearh team made it available for windows.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 30, 2013, at 8:58 AM, Hendrik <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> https://github.com/salyh/elasticsearch-msi-installer/releases/tag/v0.90.5.1
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 20:37:38 UTC+1 schrieb Mxims:
>>
>>     Hi guys,
>>
>>     Is there a way I can run ElasticSearch nodes as Windows Service on  Windows 2008 R2 Servers?
>>
>>     Has anyone tried it? Is there any related documentation?
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
>> --

Costin