Quantcast

Shards stuck in initializing status for long time

Shards stuck in initializing status for long time

Dong Aihua
Hi, guys:
  I created a new cluster from scratch.
  After the cluster is up, I tried to create some empty indices for example index-2013-02-25, index-2013-02-26, index-2013-02-27, index-2013-03-01, etc
  But some shards stuck in initializing status for long time.
{
  "cluster_name" : "es-test",
  "status" : "yellow",
  "timed_out" : false,
  "number_of_nodes" : 20,
  "number_of_data_nodes" : 15,
  "active_primary_shards" : 105,
  "active_shards" : 201,
  "relocating_shards" : 0,
  "initializing_shards" : 9,
  "unassigned_shards" : 0
}
  There is no error log in the logs.

  Moreover when I created index-2013-03-02, the cluster became to red.
{
  "cluster_name" : "es-test",
  "status" : "red",
  "timed_out" : false,
  "number_of_nodes" : 20,
  "number_of_data_nodes" : 15,
  "active_primary_shards" : 119,
  "active_shards" : 228,
  "relocating_shards" : 0,
  "initializing_shards" : 11,
  "unassigned_shards" : 1
}

 Does anyone know why this happen?
 Thank you very much!

-Regards-
-Dong Aihua-

Re: Shards stuck in initializing status for long time

Dong Aihua
By the way, I set the log level to trace, and checked the logs, no error logs are shown. but from the logs, I can know some shards are initializing and unassigned.

在 2013年2月26日星期二UTC+9下午3时48分52秒,jackiedong写道:
[...]

dadoonet
Did you set anything for your indices or did you use defaults?

Did you modify anyhow elasticsearch.yml?

Is it on a single box?

--
David ;-)

Le 26 févr. 2013 à 08:23, jackiedong <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

I used 20 machines. And I just tried 0.20.4 and 0.20.5, the same problem.
But for 0.19.11, the problem disappeared. All the empty indices can be created successfully instantly even for some strange index names.
So I guess maybe ES has some bugs for 0.20.4 and 0.20.5.

-Regards-
-Dong Aihua-

在 2013年2月26日星期二UTC+9下午4时44分55秒,David Pilato写道: