Social Search?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Social Search?

Benoit  Domingue
Hello,

I'm kinda new to elasticsearch, but so far, it's been a really good
ride ! :-)

Now I i'd like to boost results that according to a social graph...
For example, if some content is from my friend or my friend's friend,
I'd like to boost it.

How would that be possible using elasticsearch ?

Would I need an index for each users ?
How would you guys set the mapping ?

Thanks a lot !
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Social Search?

Paul Loy
that sounds like possibly a custom score: http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/query-dsl/custom-score-query.html

But be careful, friends of friends can become pretty big pretty quick :D

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Benoit Domingue <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm kinda new to elasticsearch, but so far, it's been a really good
ride ! :-)

Now I i'd like to boost results that according to a social graph...
For example, if some content is from my friend or my friend's friend,
I'd like to boost it.

How would that be possible using elasticsearch ?

Would I need an index for each users ?
How would you guys set the mapping ?

Thanks a lot !



--
---------------------------------------------
Paul Loy
[hidden email]
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulloy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Social Search?

Karussell
Either attack that via custom score or a filter query which includes
all friend and friends of friends. For jetslide / jetwick(open source)
I've implemented this that way.

But as Paul noted this can become quite big. A solution would be to
attach a marker array "forUsers" to every document. This way you have
hopefully less big arrays in the documents and one a simple term
filter while searching. You could also do some boosting e.g. add
"twitterUserName":9 to the document and then do a sort or boost
against that field...

Regards,
Peter.


On 2 Dez., 16:47, Paul Loy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> that sounds like possibly a custom score:http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/query-dsl/custom-score-q...
>
> But be careful, friends of friends can become pretty big pretty quick :D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Benoit Domingue <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm kinda new to elasticsearch, but so far, it's been a really good
> > ride ! :-)
>
> > Now I i'd like to boost results that according to a social graph...
> > For example, if some content is from my friend or my friend's friend,
> > I'd like to boost it.
>
> > How would that be possible using elasticsearch ?
>
> > Would I need an index for each users ?
> > How would you guys set the mapping ?
>
> > Thanks a lot !
>
> --
> ---------------------------------------------
> Paul Loy
> [hidden email]://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulloy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Social Search?

Benoit  Domingue
Thanks a lot for both replies! :-)

It's still kinda fuzzy for me...
The documentation also talks about a different approach,
one where there would be an index for each of users.
Do you guys  know what would be indexed in there ?
Only user's friends or also user generated content ?
(http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/query-dsl/custom-score-
query.html)

Thanks again for your help.

On Dec 2, 3:40 pm, Karussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Either attack that via custom score or a filter query which includes
> all friend and friends of friends. For jetslide / jetwick(open source)
> I've implemented this that way.
>
> But as Paul noted this can become quite big. A solution would be to
> attach a marker array "forUsers" to every document. This way you have
> hopefully less big arrays in the documents and one a simple term
> filter while searching. You could also do some boosting e.g. add
> "twitterUserName":9 to the document and then do a sort or boost
> against that field...
>
> Regards,
> Peter.
>
> On 2 Dez., 16:47, Paul Loy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > that sounds like possibly a custom score:http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/query-dsl/custom-score-q...
>
> > But be careful, friends of friends can become pretty big pretty quick :D
>
> > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Benoit Domingue <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I'm kinda new to elasticsearch, but so far, it's been a really good
> > > ride ! :-)
>
> > > Now I i'd like to boost results that according to asocialgraph...
> > > For example, if some content is from my friend or my friend's friend,
> > > I'd like to boost it.
>
> > > How would that be possible using elasticsearch ?
>
> > > Would I need an index for each users ?
> > > How would you guys set the mapping ?
>
> > > Thanks a lot !
>
> > --
> > ---------------------------------------------
> > Paul Loy
> > [hidden email]://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulloy