Static Quality Scores and Boost Functions

Static Quality Scores and Boost Functions

Stephen Day-2
An integral part of quality search results comes from ranking through
static quality scores, described here in Manning's IR book:

http://nlp.stanford.edu/IR-book/html/htmledition/static-quality-scores-and-ordering-1.html

In SOLR, one is able to affect ranking through boost functions,
applied to the final query scoring, which can work to be a kind of
"online" quality score. I have scoured the elasticsearch
documentation, but have not been able to find similar functionality.
Does elasticsearch not have this capability? Is this a planned
addition?

Thank you,

steve

steve

Re: Static Quality Scores and Boost Functions

Stephen Day-2
Thanks for the response on this, Shay.

Glad to hear that Boost Functions are on the road map and am quite interested to see what you come up with. Do you plan on following suite with SOLR, or integrating some into the Query DSL? Do you have a grammar for the query DSL? It might be interesting to define the scoring in the Query DSL, especially if you formalize the grammar.

I have worked a little bit with Lucene Similarity classes, but if you have the time, documenting the process would be appreciated.

steve