Unable to install plugin because of proxy

Unable to install plugin because of proxy

Amit Soni
Hi all - My servers use a proxy for outbound internet traffic and hence I have exported http_proxy.

I am able to curl to external websites (http as well as https) but I am unable to install the head plugin.

bin/plugin -install mobz/elasticsearch-head
-> Installing mobz/elasticsearch-head...
Trying https://github.com/mobz/elasticsearch-head/archive/master.zip...
Failed to install mobz/elasticsearch-head, reason: failed to download out of all possible locations..., use -verbose to get detailed information

any comments how I can let the plugin install tool use proxy setting?

-Amit.

Re: Unable to install plugin because of proxy

joergprante@gmail.com
Does

bin/plugin -install mobz/elasticsearch-head -url http://github.com/mobz/elasticsearch-head/archive/master.zip

work?

Re: Unable to install plugin because of proxy

search
You can download the zip file and run the following:

bin/plugin -u file:///your/zip/file/path -i mobz/elasticsearch-head

Re: Unable to install plugin because of proxy

Amit Soni
Jörg - Specifying the url somehow does not work. However based on the second suggestion, I was able to first download the zip and then specify the url of local file which worked fine.

just curious why would specifying an internet/http url not work and specifying file:/// url works?

-Amit.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Search User <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can download the zip file and run the following:

bin/plugin -u file:///your/zip/file/path -i mobz/elasticsearch-head

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:51:15 PM UTC-5, amit.soni wrote:
Hi all - My servers use a proxy for outbound internet traffic and hence I have exported http_proxy.

I am able to curl to external websites (http as well as https) but I am unable to install the head plugin.

bin/plugin -install mobz/elasticsearch-head
-> Installing mobz/elasticsearch-head...
Trying https://github.com/mobz/elasticsearch-head/archive/master.zip...
Failed to install mobz/elasticsearch-head, reason: failed to download out of all possible locations..., use -verbose to get detailed information

any comments how I can let the plugin install tool use proxy setting?

-Amit.

Re: Unable to install plugin because of proxy

Mark Walkom
Because file is using a local file (ie on disk) and not over the network.

Regards,
Mark Walkom

Infrastructure Engineer
Campaign Monitor
email: [hidden email]
web: www.campaignmonitor.com

On 13 November 2013 13:00, Amit Soni <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

actually my question is more around why the "wget" of file works but a direct install of plugin (which internally might be using something equivalent of wget) does not work.
We can surely download plugins one by one and then install it the way as mentioned above (bin/plugin -u file:///your/zip/file/path -i mobz/elasticsearch-head) but understanding the problem would help.

-Amit.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Mark Walkom <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jun Ohtani
Hi Amit,

You try the following command that specified proxy host and port number.

./bin/plugin -DproxyPort=port_number -DproxyHost=hostname -install mobz/elasticsearch-head

2013/11/13 Amit Soni <[hidden email]>
[...]

Great, this works! Thanks much Jun!

I did not know that proxy parameters are supported in the plugin command. I kind of assumed that it would pick the proxy settings from the system but that does not seem to be the case.

also the usage doesn't talk about proxy:

Usage:
    -u, --url     [plugin location]   : Set exact URL to download the plugin from
    -i, --install [plugin name]       : Downloads and installs listed plugins [*]
    -r, --remove  [plugin name]       : Removes listed plugins
    -l, --list                        : List installed plugins
    -v, --verbose                     : Prints verbose messages
    -s, --silent                      : Run in silent mode
    -h, --help                        : Prints this help message

However I am good now, thanks everyone :)

-Amit.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Jun Ohtani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I read the code org.elasticsearch.plugin.PluginManager.java.
PluginManager use java.net.URL.openConnection() to download plugins.
-DproxyPort and -DproxyHost parameter is Java Networking system properties.
Using http.proxyPort and http.proxyHost instead of proxyHost and proxyPort is recommended currently, see the following reference link.

But, I don’t try to use “http.*” system properties because I don’t have proxy environment. Sorry.

Reference : http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/properties.html

Jun Ohtani
[hidden email]
blog : http://blog.johtani.info