Understanding an "explain"

Nick Hoffman
Hey guys. Is there anything that I can read to help me understand the output from an "explain"?

One of my searches is returning a document that I don't think should be returned, and I only understand part of the explanation:

Line 47 says that the field "items.name" matches the search. But what does "ock in 198" mean?

Re: Understanding an "explain"

It means that the (part of the) query, which is items.name:ock matched a doc number 198 (internal Lucene numbering of docs). What confuses you? the part that its ock? Are you doing any special analysis on that field (items.name)?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Nick Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys. Is there anything that I can read to help me understand the output from an "explain"?

One of my searches is returning a document that I don't think should be returned, and I only understand part of the explanation:

Line 47 says that the field "items.name" matches the search. But what does "ock in 198" mean?

Re: Understanding an "explain"

Nick Hoffman
Ah, gotcha re: "in 198" and "(stuff in parens)".

I understand the "ock": it's an nGram that matched.

A custom nGram analyzer named "3_8_ngram" is being used for index and search analysis:

The rationale for "3_8_ngram" is that my users will search for misspellings or partial words, and I need to match those. Is there a better approach for solving that problem, though?

Thanks again!
Nick