Using ES with Plone

Pedro Galvan
Hello. We have several websites using different technologies and would
like to use elasticsearch to provide a single integrated search that
indexes all of our websites.

One of the websites uses Plone as CMS and we are trying to figure out
how we can include its contents in ES search results.

I am no expert, but from reading a bit it looks like we can either set
some kind of hook on the plone side to push updates into ES, or we can
build a river for plone on ES.

Which approach do you recommend? Has anybody used ES with plone?

Which approach do you recommend? Has anybody used ES with plone?

Re: Using ES with Plone

Pedro Galvan
You are right. I guess it makes more sense to hook from plone and push
info to ES.

On Nov 15, 1:56 pm, Matthew Terenzio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new here and looking at the same types of decisions myself and it seems
> a river might not be enough for a use case like a CMS where you'd want a
> deleted piece of content to also be removed from the ES index.
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't know plone to comment on building an extension point, but, just a
> > note regarding indexing the data externally from plone, it does not have to
> > be a river, you can build it however you want, just some sort of process
> > that syncs between plone and elasticsearch. I am saying that just so you
> > know a "river" is not really the only option here.
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Pedro Galvan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Hello. We have several websites using different technologies and would
> >> like to use elasticsearch to provide a single integrated search that
> >> indexes all of our websites.
>
> >> One of the websites uses Plone as CMS and we are trying to figure out
> >> how we can include its contents in ES search results.
>
> >> I am no expert, but from reading a bit it looks like we can either set
> >> some kind of hook on the plone side to push updates into ES, or we can
> >> build a river for plone on ES.
>
> >> Which approach do you recommend? Has anybody used ES with plone?

Re: Using ES with Plone

Tarjei Huse
On 11/15/2011 06:45 PM, Pedro Galvan wrote:
> Hello. We have several websites using different technologies and would
> like to use elasticsearch to provide a single integrated search that
> indexes all of our websites.
>
> One of the websites uses Plone as CMS and we are trying to figure out
> how we can include its contents in ES search results.

Hi, you should look into the collective.solr and collective.indexing
plone modules. collective.indexing provides a framework for writing
plugins that hook into the document creation process to update external

I just wrote a client to collective.indexing to do posts to a more
general document repository than solr (the idea being to have solr as a
super database holding documents across many cms instances).

See https://github.com/zeronorge/Products.zerocms for that one.

Hope this helps :)

Kind regards,
Tarjei