What are the benefits of the Rescorer query vs Boolean query with must/should clauses

What are the benefits of the Rescorer query vs Boolean query with must/should clauses

Mike
I was looking at the rescore query, and it seems to me that it is very similar to just putting both queries in a bool query, with the 1st one put into the must clause.  It also seems like we could just use different boosts for each query to manipulate the final score, similar to the rescorer's query_weight.  Besides the window_size property that limits the number of docs we rescore, what other benefits does it provide?