What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

Brent Gracey
Hi all,

Are there performance or functional trade offs which should be considered when deciding on a documents type?

I found an article which calls out some of the key considerations when deciding on how many indexes to use http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/what-is-an-elasticsearch-index/, but I haven't been able to find anything similar which discusses the type property.

Thanks.
Brent

Re: What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

shadyabhi
If what you mean by "type" of a document in a index is
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/glossary.html#glossary-type,
it doesn't have any impact on performance. As explained in the link,
it's just like a "table" in a RDBMS.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Brent Gracey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Are there performance or functional trade offs which should be considered
> when deciding on a documents type?
>
> I found an article which calls out some of the key considerations when
> deciding on how many indexes to use
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/what-is-an-elasticsearch-index/, but I
> haven't been able to find anything similar which discusses the type
> property.
>

> Thanks.
> Brent

Abhijeet Rastogi (shadyabhi)

Re: What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

Brent Gracey
Thanks for the answer, and yup that's the type I was talking about.

Is the main use of type to allow different mappings to be applied on the same index?

Is there any other use for type?

Please do point me in the correct direction if I've missed the relevant documentation, but my googling hasn't turned anything up

Re: What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

shadyabhi
Yup, that's one use of it. You can have two different "kind" of
documents in the same index and treat them differently. Try googling
for "Index vs type in elasticsearch".

For ex, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14465668/elastic-search-multiple-indexes-vs-one-index-and-types-for-different-data-sets
http://elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com/More-indices-vs-more-types-td3999423.html

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Brent Gracey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer, and yup that's the type I was talking about.
>
> Is the main use of type to allow different mappings to be applied on the
> same index?
>
> Is there any other use for type?
>
> Please do point me in the correct direction if I've missed the relevant
> documentation, but my googling hasn't turned anything up
>
> Thanks

Abhijeet Rastogi (shadyabhi)

Re: What considerations to bear in mind when deciding on a document's type

Brent Gracey
Great thanks for those links, thats the info I was looking for