What does it mean to "store" a field?

12

Re: What does it mean to "store" a field?

Prashant Agrawal
Hi Jorg/Nik,

I tried the scenario like one with storing all fields and one without. So what i came across is

-- The size of index is reduced as mentioned in preceding posts as well
-- Search time for same query is slightly less with not storing the individual field
-- But here I am getting an issue like I am not able to retrieve the content with highlight if I am using store:No for fields. So how I can overcome this issue without storing the field.

Also its mentioned like : You can even highlight the content from _source forcefully by adding "force_source" : true as mentioned in below link. So any Idea how I can achieve that using not storing the fields.

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-highlighting.html#_force_highlighting_on_source

~Prashant

Re: What does it mean to "store" a field?

Prashant Agrawal
Hi Jorg,

But while exploring the same I came across somethink like mentioned below:

You can even highlight the content from _source
forcefully by adding "force_source" : true as mentioned in below link. So
any Idea how I can achieve that using not storing the fields.

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-highlighting.html#_force_highlighting_on_source

~Prashant

Re: What does it mean to "store" a field?

abi_pat
In my index, I enabled store for one field for one particular type. After indexing some data in my index, I checked index on plugin head. But the field with store: yes was still not visible. The mapping says that the store is set to true. I can perform search on that field but in Java driver, when I try to get data by

hit.getFields.get("<Field name>")
it returns null.
What's wrong with my mapping or is my understanding is wrong somewhere?

Thanks
12