What is the difference between common terms query vs match query with cutoff_frequency set

What is the difference between common terms query vs match query with cutoff_frequency set

Mike
I was reading up on the match query and noticed that it has a cutoff_frequency parameter, which seems to do pretty much what the common terms query does.
  1. What is the difference between the common and match queries?
  2. When would I want to use common terms over match?
  3. Ultimately, would the direction be to have common terms query roll up into the match query (with any differences added to match)?

Re: What is the difference between common terms query vs match query with cutoff_frequency set

ElasticSearch Users mailing list
They should produce the same exact query (CommonTermsQuery). The only thing I can think of that is different is the CommonTerms query provides more options other than just the cutoff_frequency (i.e. low_freq_operator, high_freq_operator, etc) which are not available in the Match query. I do not know of any plans to "merge/rollup" the two so for now, they remain separate.