When multiple nodes need to communicate to handle a query, what protocol do they use?

When multiple nodes need to communicate to handle a query, what protocol do they use?

Swaraj Banerjee-2
When multiple nodes need to communicate to handle a query, what protocol do they use?

If I issue a search request to an index that lives on multiple shards (that are on separate nodes), I send the request to ES using an HTTP REST API w/ JSON. Do ES nodes within a cluster also communicate with each other over HTTP w/ JSON? If not, what is the protocol used?

Thanks,
Swaraj

---

Re: When multiple nodes need to communicate to handle a query, what protocol do they use?

Nikolas Everett

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Swaraj Banerjee <[hidden email]> wrote:

When multiple nodes need to communicate to handle a query, what protocol do they use?

If I issue a search request to an index that lives on multiple shards (that are on separate nodes), I send the request to ES using an HTTP REST API w/ JSON. Do ES nodes within a cluster also communicate with each other over HTTP w/ JSON? If not, what is the protocol used?

Thanks,
Swaraj

You should probably go over to discuss.elastic.co for questions from here on out - this list is deprecated.

Elasticseach uses its own binary-ish protocol that it runs around port 9300. Most stuff is hand encoded and decoded into relatively compact binary representations. The queries are sent as (kinda, mostly) text inside the binary and parsed on the data nodes.

Nik

---