Where does ElasticSearch store an index by default?

CC

Where does ElasticSearch store an index by default?

CC

I am currently indexing a large volume of data into ElasticSearch and I am not entirely sure where ES is actually storing the indices. My worries are that the indices are growing too large and might take up the entire space I have available on disk. In this sense, I would like to move them elsewhere (by creating snapshots and restoring them).

In the configuration it is specified that the actual location of the indices is /path/to/data (commented line), but inside my data folder I simply cannot find them. Also, is it possible to leave ES in the current location and point it to store indices in a different place?

Thanks,
Cristina

---

Re: Where does ElasticSearch store an index by default?

Jason Wee
hey there, you should be able to find the location specified by path.data in elasticsearch.yml. read more hereĀ https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-dir-layout.html

you should consider ask further question atĀ https://discuss.elastic.co/

hth