Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

Dara
Hi,

Is it possible to include wildcards in a query_string query when looking for a phrase?

When I search with the following query :

{
"query":{
  "query_string":{
    "default_operator" : "AND"
    "analyze_wildcard": true,
    "default_field":"value",
    "query":"\"hotel california\""

I get some hits which contain the phrase "hotel california" as expected.

However, if I search using

{
"query":{
  "query_string":{
    "default_operator" : "AND"
    "analyze_wildcard": true,
    "default_field":"value",
    "query":"\"hotel c*\""

I get no hits at all.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Is there a workaround?

Cheers,

Dara

Re: Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

simonw-2

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:00:44 PM UTC+2, Dara wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to include wildcards in a query_string query when looking for a phrase?

When I search with the following query :

{
"query":{
  "query_string":{
    "default_operator" : "AND"
    "analyze_wildcard": true,
    "default_field":"value",
    "query":"\"hotel california\""

I get some hits which contain the phrase "hotel california" as expected.

However, if I search using

{
"query":{
  "query_string":{
    "default_operator" : "AND"
    "analyze_wildcard": true,
    "default_field":"value",
    "query":"\"hotel c*\""

you might wanna look at the text query part of the API. it has a text_prefix_phrase query that might do what you are looking for.

http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/query-dsl/text-query.html

simon

Dara

Re: Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

Dara
Thanks for the reply, sorry for getting back so late but I've only started looking at this again today.

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:30:12 PM UTC+2, simonw wrote:

[...]

I've playing with text_prefix_phrase and it seems to be sort of what I'm after, but the number of results returned is very dependent on the value of max_expansions and the length of my prefix :

E.g
{
"query" : {
    "text_phrase_prefix" : {
        "value" : {
            "query" : "Hotel Cali",
            "max_expansions" : 0

will return some results  but

{
"query" : {
    "text_phrase_prefix" : {
        "value" : {
            "query" : "Hotel C",
            "max_expansions" : 0

won't.

Nor does
{
"query" : {
    "text_phrase_prefix" : {
        "value" : {
            "query" : "Hotel C",
            "max_expansions" : 1

Whereas

{
"query" : {
    "text_phrase_prefix" : {
        "value" : {
            "query" : "Hotel C",
            "max_expansions" : 99

will return some results.

I don't really understand what max_expansions is doing, and what its value actually means, can somebody explain in simple terms? What is being expanded? The query? And if that is the case, how is it being expanded?

Thanks,

Dara

simon

I get no hits at all.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Is there a workaround?

Cheers,

Dara

Re: Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

Eric
Dara,

Realizing that this is an old post, but I am having this same issue.

Was there a suggested solution that got you through

Eric

Re: Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

Dara
Hi Eric,

I'm sorry but I didn't find a solution. If you do have any luck with this, please post back!

Cheers,

Dara

Re: Wildcards in exact phrase in query_string search

hteleb
I have same issue too. any trick to solve the issue?