_all field mapping

Andrej
Hi,

a probably pretty simple to answer question: I can declare values for the _all field in the mapping of an index. But when I get the mapping using curl and the get mapping endpoint I am not getting any information about this field. Is there a simple way to retrieve complete mapping data (including the defaults maybe?) or how can I check if these mappings are applied correctly?

Thanks!
Andrej

Re: _all field mapping

Andrej
Hi Ivan,

maybe my question wasnt well asked, I'll try again. I know that _all field is not stored by default, but I can declare stuff for it in the mapping to control its behavior/values (e.g. simply disable it, it is enabled by default). But I dont know how to retrieve this setting/mapping value that it is enabled or disabled, because there is no information about it in the mapping I get using the get api. So my question is, how can I figure out on an index if _all is enabled/disabled or whatever other settings are used (e.g. do I have to look at all fields if the are included/excluded or is there a collection somewhere where I can get this information).

Thanks!
Andrej

Re: _all field mapping

Clinton Gormley-2
If there is nothing in the mapping you retrieve, then it is using the default settings. If you set anything different from the default, it will be reflected in the mapping:

{
   "mappings" : {
      "test" : {
         "_all" : {
            "store" : "yes"
'

# {
#    "ok" : true,
#    "acknowledged" : true
# }

# {
#    "test" : {
#       "_all" : {
#          "store" : true
#       },
#       "properties" : {}
#    }
# }

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Andrej Rosenheinrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ivan,

maybe my question wasnt well asked, I'll try again. I know that _all field is not stored by default, but I can declare stuff for it in the mapping to control its behavior/values (e.g. simply disable it, it is enabled by default). But I dont know how to retrieve this setting/mapping value that it is enabled or disabled, because there is no information about it in the mapping I get using the get api. So my question is, how can I figure out on an index if _all is enabled/disabled or whatever other settings are used (e.g. do I have to look at all fields if the are included/excluded or is there a collection somewhere where I can get this information).

Thanks!
Andrej

Re: _all field mapping

Andrej
Hi Clinton,

you are, of course, right, the problem was a different one, I had a typo in the mapping saying "enable" instead of "enabled" (triple checking is not necessarily enough ...). Well, here is the next question, as enable doesnt make sense for the field, should I get an error or at least a warning from mapping parser? My (wrong) conclusion was that when creating an index says ok that the mapping is ok.

Thanks!
Andrej

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 06:00 -0800, Andrej Rosenheinrich wrote:
> Hi Clinton,
>
> you are, of course, right, the problem was a different one, I had a
> typo in the mapping saying "enable" instead of "enabled" (triple
> checking is not necessarily enough ...). Well, here is the next
> question, as enable doesnt make sense for the field, should I get an
> error or at least a warning from mapping parser? My (wrong) conclusion
> was that when creating an index says ok that the mapping is ok.

Yeah - it tends to ignore stuff it doesn't recognise, instead of
throwing an error.

clint